The Howler's Gallery --New sig 5th March--

TheHowler

my respect for you went up until I saw eminem... Try paramore?

:P

Seriously, great work!

I love the "Ryu" piece.

The hardest part of ending is starting again. 

Minners: I know, I keep meaning to try more smaller sigs, but every time I forget! :P

AGJM: Aha I used to be into Paramore and stuff like that, but a few months ago I started listening to more mainstream music instead, tastes change I guess. And thanks about the Ryu piece! :)

Helen: Thanks, I'm glad you like it :)

And thanks all of you for coming to tke a look :mrcyan:

• 2 months later...

The first one is really quite good & I like what you have done there a lot. The elements fit with the message - jumping through hoops.

Second one is good because of the lines how they flow but not as good in getting the message across, even though you have him jumping on what could be seen as a ball.

No idea on how you could improve the first one. I'd be inclined to leave it but maybe someone else has another great idea.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Howdy. Great concept in the new WIPs.

Overall the idea of the jumping/falling/moving person with art embraces the concept in both.

In the first though you might want to revisit cutting his fingers off. I found that's what I keep focusing on. The lower fade of his feet is fine but seems a tiny bit over pronounced. Text placement is spot on for this as well as the logo splash.

Might suggest adding his fingers back in and then to create the layer out effect put condensation trails off of his finger tips fading out or blending to the edge ... That would give a top level focus to create something of a tiered effect with trails, main body, then text ...

The second one works, but the text just doesn't seem to fit in. Could be because its cover the object/crowding the main object and then a seemingly large dead space on the right.

Hope that wasn't too much input. Went off the idea of WIPs.

Signature work is still great of course. Cant say much about that. Current has great balance but the character references dont ring with me so no other emotional attachment besides good composition work there. B)

Just $.02 while I wait on splinter blur again ... :roll:

Gallery at PDN-Fans

I'm not good at sketching stuff like this but I did a fast overlay to convey a couple of points. At least in my view you're headed in the right direction.

1) The text is blending onto his feet and is hard to read. Consider a bounding box and simply just move it down a little. (I couldn't cut that out fast so its "in place" with the box around it.

2) People clue into recognizable things like where a person is looking. My perception is that line coming from the end of his nose on where he is headed based on where he is looking. Gymnast 101, look where you are landing ... With that being the basic line of the trail as show by the point blur balls above this ..

3) The trails on the hands need to follow the idea of where he is headed or you start losing perspective on the image. In this case, the idea (at least in my head) is to get him seemingly flowing out of the image slightly and conveying movement of the subject. A slight trailing from his feet to get a balance of "contact points" with the cloud barrier that makes the background may sync that up. (Just thought of that so its not included in my sketch.)

4) The angle of the arms helps denote depth. Left is short, hence farther away. Depending on how you go about the size of creating trails will affect how the depth of the piece comes together ...

Sketch hacked image:

th_hwip1.png

Hope that helps explain what I was thinking ... Without the layers my skills are lacking for doing much more to demonstrate what I'm thinking here ... (not asking for the sources, just disclaiming my sketching ... I'm still too new at PDN to do much quickly)

EDIT: Just realized thats a watermark in the upper left and not really part of the image or am I missing something here? Cause if its not just a watermark protector you'll need to look at that again ...

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans