remove background

I have 1 picture with a blue background and a metal steel basin.

I would like to remove the background and change the colour to white.

What's the best way to go about this?

Background is a material so it's not all perfectly the same colour, very slight different shades of blue in the picture.

The turotials say outline it but this is a circular metal object.

I tried using the circle tool but I can't get it exact and there seems to be no way to select a circle.

post-46824-131185137365_thumb.jpg

Edited by qwertyjjj

Thanks I followed that but it seems a little rough on the edge selection.

Any ideas what IO might have done wrong?

Run Feather a couple of times.boltbait.roll.png

me.png             

Run Feather a couple of times.boltbait.roll.png

I did on a setting of 2. Do I select all and run feather or does it have to be after cutting the image?

Using the Ellipse Selection tool and then Move Selection tool to get the edges right.

Ran AA assistant a couple of times

I tried this and I am unable to select the ellipse once I have drawn it.

I have traced around a new image in red.

However, when I use the magic wand to select inside, it does not select all of the image, I've tried adjusting the sensitivity, etc.

Isn't there a way just to tell it to select everything inside the red trace so I can invert it?

Edited by qwertyjjj

I tried this and I am unable to select the ellipse once I have drawn it.

Use the ellipse select tool :EllipseSelectTool: not the ellipse tool :EllipseTool:

Once you have the ellipse selection, use the move selection tool :MoveSelectionTool: to fix it instead of the move tool :MoveTool:

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

When I trace around an image in red lines, sometimes I cannot select the image inside even chaging sensitivity options.

I am following this tutorial:

Isn't there a way to get it to select/fill everything inside a red trace and then cut that from the original layer?

Using the above tutorial, it only selects base don sensitivity in the magic wand.

I tried another using hue but that doesn't work on this image.

post-46824-131279694092_thumb.jpg

Make sure that any joins in your outlining are completely joined up. And always draw the tracing on a new layer.

Some images are harder to trace around and I think you've got one of the examples there

It's not the tracing so much as that when I select inside the trace, the sensitivity isn't picking up all of the white area due to shading because the magic wand picks up based on the colour you click on not on the trace.

If I select the red trace line, then the magic wand only selects the red trace line not the actual pipe inside of the trace.