agjm's art gallery ~ new image 11-19-2012 - New Image This Month!

AGJM

Lice outcome but put the text on the right side for maximum impact.

P.S. Don't be so negative or I will come over to your house & chase you with the weed-eater (whipper-snipper).

@BBQ: Okay, it's in quotes just because the fun in the typo gave me a good chuckle. I've got all sorts of very bizarre concepts of what a "Lice outcome" might be ... Some include zombies of course ... Other's are a little more Disney'esque just because I can force myself down that path.

@AGJM: The new one has a new feel to it. (I couldn't resist the double loop on the language.) Reminds me of light painting. Sort of neat stuff if you've not run across it before. Very long exposure and use of things like fire, flashlights and led arrays to "paint" light images into the exposures. Thankfully digital makes these far less painful than the old days. Might give you some additional inspiration since a lot of the best light paintings derive from orbital mechanics.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

you can use the alpha mask plugin to give it a gradient.

Alpha Masks are always confusing to me. I've used them a few times before but it's like I can't quite grasp how to use it most effectively.

Like it never seems to work the same way

Edited by NinjaManDan21

Sig Battle Wins: 5
DigitalTypographyNightvision.gif
My Gallery
| Smoke>Flames Tutorial

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 4% who will

Very Impressive!! I love your new line of works (I can tell you like the orbs);)

Orbs give a feeling of completion, at least to me. I'm glad that I'm starting to show a particular style, but I'll try to be unpredictable. That inspires more creativity.

Lice outcome but put the text on the right side for maximum impact.

P.S. Don't be so negative or I will come over to your house & chase you with the weed-eater (whipper-snipper).

My negativity comes and goes. Usually comes when my house is too loud or I haven't eaten in a while or I'm stressed. Thanks. I just realized my mistake on the text too... Constructive criticism for the win!

@BBQ: Okay, it's in quotes just because the fun in the typo gave me a good chuckle. I've got all sorts of very bizarre concepts of what a "Lice outcome" might be ... Some include zombies of course ... Other's are a little more Disney'esque just because I can force myself down that path.

@AGJM: The new one has a new feel to it. (I couldn't resist the double loop on the language.) Reminds me of light painting. Sort of neat stuff if you've not run across it before. Very long exposure and use of things like fire, flashlights and led arrays to "paint" light images into the exposures. Thankfully digital makes these far less painful than the old days. Might give you some additional inspiration since a lot of the best light paintings derive from orbital mechanics.

I googled it. It does look similar to that! Even with safesearch on strict, though, there was a (slightly) explicit image. Not good. What's with the world these days?

Ok, that is it - agjm, you're safe for a while - going to chase Delpart for laughing at my typo instead 1.gif

He is right though in the description of the style. I've not really seen that here before.

I'm glad I don't have to watch my back :P

Yeah, I think he is right.

Alpha Masks are always confusing to me. I've used them a few times before but it's like I can't quite grasp how to use it most effectively.

Like it never seems to work the same way

Alpha masks are most useful for things like gradients in text and such. It works best by drawing an object in pure black on a layer with a transparent background. Ctrl+a, ctrl+c, ctrl+d. Then, draw the color/design you want to have fill the object filled with. Minimize the black layer, if you didn't already, select the color/design layer, then run alpha mask. Non-inverted makes a transparent cut in the color. Inverted cuts out anything that is not where the black from the other layer is. You'll understand it better if you try it hands on, just goof off with it in your spare time.

The hardest part of ending is starting again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, that is pretty cool. I liek the minimalist approach. Make a great wallpaper!

You liek it? Anyways, I like the look of the glowing orb with darkness around it, then a glowing ring. In my opinion, it adds more depth... I want a 3D program so bad!!!

I'll be making more soon - a minecraft texture pack, to be specific.

You liek it? Anyways, I like the look of the glowing orb with darkness around it, then a glowing ring. In my opinion, it adds more depth... I want a 3D program so bad!!!

I'll be making more soon - a minecraft texture pack, to be specific.

Get Blender. Its free ... and one of the most powerful all around.

The orb has a nice highlights. Using Median and and alpha blurring (layered in etc) can create stronger depth with gradient sweeps like this. Most of the kick from S3D is in the edges for what most people consider to be distinct 3D objects. Getting that more distinct edge is often the difference between a radial blur and an orb ... Just thinking out loud. I'm still trying to figure out how to get most gradients to shape but this is one thing that always stands out.

• Upvote 1

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Get Blender. Its free ... and one of the most powerful all around.

The orb has a nice highlights. Using Median and and alpha blurring (layered in etc) can create stronger depth with gradient sweeps like this. Most of the kick from S3D is in the edges for what most people consider to be distinct 3D objects. Getting that more distinct edge is often the difference between a radial blur and an orb ... Just thinking out loud. I'm still trying to figure out how to get most gradients to shape but this is one thing that always stands out.

I used S3D and liked the effect, it took about five minutes... though you can't see the actual sphere it would have looked like if I left it alone:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd370/Andrew_MacGillivray/Darknessrays.png

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the sphere and the wallpaper with the flowers. So beautiful. It's a little dark for my taste, but that's just me babbling.

I don't like the sphere one that much anymore, but the dark flowers one is one of my favorites.

It just reminds me of being outside on a cool, humid night. I love it.

• 3 weeks later...

I also made a map of sorts for a book I may or may not end up writing...

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/114/2/b/beithioch_by_agjm-d4xglph.png

Undoubtedly getting the idea for a colder, more northern landscape from Skyrim, it is somewhat based off of England, Scotland, and Ireland... I may end up making it a map in minecraft in the end...

• 2 weeks later...

I love the map (reminds me of anicent maps used in movies) and for some reason, I always liked the gradient bars effect. It creates a beautiful scene.

Yeah, me too (on both). I used several layers of gradient bars and several radial gradients with different layer blend modes to get the colors right. Not hard, but I liked it and had nothing else to add.