How do you change the default save type?

You can not change the default save type.

JPG is a "lossy" format, PNG is not. So, every time you save an image in JPG format you are losing quality. Do this several times and you have the effect of making a copy of a copy of a copy on a photocopier. It starts to look bad pretty quickly.

Paint.NET will never default to a save type that will lose information/quality. You see, people don't pay attention and could lose quality by mistake. If you WANT to lose quality, that's fine. You just need to make a choice to do so.

Ok - I realize JPEG is a lossy format but that isn't an issue for how I am using the application and oftentimes one has no choice but to use JPEG. I was scanning in large photos today and the lossless PNG version was 250MB a bit excessive for this purpose when I want to email these photos to relatives or paste on FB where the size will have to be shrunk way down.

1. Reduce the scan resolution. Monitors are roughly 96pixels per inch so scanning at huge resolutions is a waste of time for images intended purely for screen use.

2. Reduce the canvas size. An 8"x5" photo has 40 square inches of image, a 6"x4" has 24. The filesize will differ accordingly.

3. Try the OptiPNG plugin to squash the PNG filesize further.

I understand why you would want to do this, but you also need to understand why this won't be changing ... You flip the default to JPEG because you're processing a bunch of photos. Then a week later you forget about it and you accidentally save something as a JPEG when you really needed PNG, and it ruins your image or drawing. It's MUCH easier to re-save a PNG as JPG than it is to redraw everything from scratch.

This has been asked innumerable times over the last several years. I should probably add it to the FAQ or something

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 7 years later...

You reply to an eight year old post to humiliate yourself by posting something completely and utterly wrong?? Take a deep breath @susansayshi