How to make these cards?

I have been using Paint.NET for a few years now and I wouldn't consider myself a noob anymore as I know what most of the tools do and I know the shortcuts such as CTRL + Z. However, with that said, I could never really create good wrestling cards.. I need to make them for an online federation, but I don't really know how to make them look good. I know most people use Photoshop, but I'm not paying for it and I definitely don't want to do anything illegal. I will post a few examples and maybe you can give me a few tips or even write a tutorial. You really don't need to know much about wrestling, as most of them are basically like regular trading cards like baseball or Pokemon. Okay, here are some of the ones that I really like:

Hidden Content:
111308315.jpg

Hidden Content:
-00-amanda%20bishop%20%28%20interviewer%20%29.jpg

Hidden Content:
snaga.jpg

Hidden Content:
Breaker.jpg

Hidden Content:
show-staff-commentatordrewcash.jpg

Hidden Content:
stevecasey.jpg

Hidden Content:
phenom.png

Hidden Content:
card_yoshitoro.jpg

Hidden Content:
manager_jack%20daniels.jpg

Hidden Content:
card%20sparkhawk.jpg

Thanks I hope you can help! :D

That's a lot of different effects you are asking for help with. As a general explanation, find a background pic, then add text (go through some of the text tutorials here for ideas). Add a frame and paste the picture of whoever in the frame.

Edited by pdnnoob

what I do all summer Emote Cursor Pack 'noob gallery

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

That's a lot of different effects you are asking for help with. As a general explanation, find a background pic, then add text (go through some of the text tutorials here for ideas). Add a frame and paste the picture of whoever in the frame.

I basically mean the general outline. But to be more specific, can you give me some tips on making the first one? I really like the effects in it, and can you possibly tell me how to outline the guy with a line like in the picture?