How to make an image sharper

Hello to all.

I took an image off the internet.. used it on a project. When you look at the completed page, the image (LOGO) looks good, my client loved it, called it excellent. I printed it and sent to him.. well, that logo is rather blurry. Is there a way to make it crisper, more clear? Somehow make it sharper?

This is a color logo.

Thanks in advance.

Art

Sounds like you have a DPI issue. Read all about it:

Printing uses a lot more dots-per-inch than your screen. I suspect that this is the reason the web image is fine (probably 96 pixels per inch) and the print is lousy (probably printing @ 300ppi). The print image will need to be stretched to make it the same size as the screen version, hence the blurring.

Try printing the image smaller (= sharper).

EER,

I opened the project in Paint. I highlighted the logo, went to image, changed pixels to 300, then copied it, then opened another project that uses the same logo, and pasted what I had copied,, printed it and it is the same as before. When I go to see what the size is it shows 300 but it didn't change anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Should I be doing something different? As the only thing I want to change on the sheet is the logo. (?)

Thanks in advance.

Art

You can't change the resolution on just part of the image. It's an all-or-nothing deal.

Can you upload both pics and post the links here?

When changing the size in the resize window, set the units to inches and type in your desired size, then set the dpi to 300. I don't think this is the issue, however. The logo itself looks blurry already. This is goes back to EER's link to the thread about dpi. When you make the logo, make it huge and save it in a separate file so you can use it where you wish.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Return to the DPI link and re-read the section that begins... 2. How can I optimize my image for print?

The solution is as pdnnoob suggested - make the logo much larger when you also need to print it. You can shrink it easily, but not increase the size without incurring pixelization.

As a rough guide monitors are around 96ppi (pixels per inch) & printers commonly do their work at 300dpi (dots per inch). So upscale your image by a minimum of 3x (300/96) on the screen to retain clarity when printing. Actually I recommend upsizing the image dimensions by a factor of four so that when you resize down for the web it is a factor-of-two reduction.

In summary:

A 2 inch square on your screen at 96ppi will be exactly filled with an image 192x192 pixels in size.

To print a 2 inch square image at 300dpi you'll need the image to be 600x600 pixels.

I understand what is being said,, I have re-read the link several times, and have tried to follow instructions several times, but I am having trouble with the execution of the process to change the numbers. I can load just the logo into paint, I would like to manipulate it and then use what I get to apply on the other page when I reach the right look.

It seems as though I don't understand what sequence I need to go thru to get this done. (?) I am sure it is elementary to someone more familiar with it than I.

I change the numbers,, then what? Sometimes I get a different page sometimes not.. When do I change to 300? It is confusing ,, I just don't know what steps to take in what order.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Art

resize.png

the highlighted box in the resize window should say 300. at the same time, go ahead and change the size of the image using the inches boxes below the highlighted one so that the image is larger than it needs to be. Once you have your logo created, you can shrink it back down to fit where needed.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo