Tolerance array instead of global value

I just hit a real frustration problem with the tolerance setting. It's global, and the value as set will affect all tools that use it.

I searched the forums to see if there was any reference to this issue and didn't find one, so I'm posting for discussion (maybe I'm not looking in the right place) or enhancement if it doesn't exist.

Problem: I have a PNG image that has a transparent border. I want to select the pixels in the image that are not transparent (it's a photo-type object with non-geometric edges) then replace the object with a patterned fill.

Process:

1. Select Magic Wand and click on the transparent portion of the image (I have all but what I want selected)

2. Invert the selection (I have what I want selected)

3. Select the Fill bucket and fill the selection with the desired patterned fill (a checkerboard, let's say).

Problem:

1. To properly select the transparent portion of the image without the object and retain a sharp edge, I need to set a low tolerance level.

2. To properly fill the object I need to set a high tolerance level. The photo object has typical color variety - setting a high tolerance will fill the entire thing to the selection border and not miss any pixels.

3. The Tolerance level is global and its setting is used by all tools that understand it.

Resulting Process:

1. Set Tolerance to low

2. Select Magic Wand and click on transparent portion

3. Invert selection

4. Set Tolerance to high

5. Select Fill bucket and fill the selection

Forgetting to set the tolerance to the desired level based on the tool in use produces unwanted results.

Proposed Solution:

I'm a programmer, so I envision the new Tolerance bar as an array of values instead of a single value. The array saves tolerance levels individually for each tool, and when I switch tools the tolerance level changes as well.

When I have the Magic Wand and change the tolerance, that new value is stored for Magic Wand and all other settings are unaffected.

When the app opens the values are set to some default setting (or user defined settings if there is such a startup setup process, or remembered settings from the last session if state values are retained).

Am I missing this ability for Tolerance to be set individually by tool?

Are others having this type of problems as well?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by jdavee

I also agree on this one. There really isn't any reason for all the tolerance levels to be linked [as far as user convenience goes]. . You can set the defaults on the tools, but as far as I know, there is no way to separate the tolerance levels

EDIT: you're right, Rick. I should reword that...

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hmmm...yes,being able to specify different tolerances for each tool would be good.

With your transparent border image, I would create a new layer, move it under the picture & fill the whole layer with the texture. This way you would not need to mess about with the magic wand at all & you would not lose any part of the original. You then have the choice of merging down, or flattening. Be mindful of the FILE TYPE when you save because you will want something else other than a .pdn

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I'm glad this isn't something already discussed and dismissed, and that others see some value to deglobalizing the tolerance setting. Is there a procedure to submit enhancement suggestions?

Thanks for the layering suggestion - I'll give it a try.

There really isn't any reason for all the tolerance levels to be linked

Yes, there is reason for it. Just because it doesn't fit some workflows doesn't mean there's no reason.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Yes, there is reason for it. Just because it doesn't fit some workflows doesn't mean there's no reason.

OK Rick, I'll bite - what is the reason for linking to a single tolerance level across all tools? My assumption was that this was just an internal programming decision that could be enhanced to provide more functionality.

Edited by jdavee