Resize Layers

Forgive me for such a dumb newbie question. I have a document with three layers, nothing fancy. I want to make one of the layers bigger. The docs say use the selection tool (in my case the rectangle tool) to make a selection. They say if you want to resize the selection just grab on of the handles. This works as it should. However I want to resize my layer, which is essentially a square image. I can't see where to do this. The layer properties don't even show the size of my layer. Is there some way to open the layer in another window? Help!

Thanks

Use Rotate/Zoom tool:

Select the layer you want to resize, by highlighting it in the layers window (click on it to highlight it)

Layers > Rotate/Zoom, and move the Zoom slider up or down to resize the layer

And if want to open a layer in a new window:

1-Select the layer,

2-Edie > Select all (ctrl+A)

3-Edit > Copy (Ctrl+C)

4-Edit > Paste in to New Image.(Ctrl+Alt+V)

Use Rotate/Zoom tool:

Select the layer you want to resize, by highlighting it in the layers window (click on it to highlight it)

Layers > Rotate/Zoom, and move the Zoom slider up or down to resize the layer

And if want to open a layer in a new window:

1-Select the layer,

2-Edie > Select all (ctrl+A)

3-Edit > Copy (Ctrl+C)

4-Edit > Paste in to New Image.(Ctrl+Alt+V)

Forgive my obtuseness but when I use the Rotate/Zoom tool it does change the size but it also moves the layer's position in my image. If I follow your second suggestion, it gives me a new image which is blank. That is, it is the same size as my layer but just has a white background.

Because of the the application this is used for I need a precise location of the layers on the image (within a single pixel) and the same for the size of the layer. I have all that now but I see no good way to edit either the size of the layer nor its' location.

Thanks for the help

Edited by born2see