Swapping color values in a selection...

Heya, it's me again - the girl from earlier asking about gradients. This is a bit different, though - I'm curious as to what the technique is called when you swap the values of two of the colors within a selection?

For example, let's say that we have a nice pinkish color for something... but you don't want pinkish. This would keep things looking relatively nice, simply by swapping all the red values with the blue values, giving you nice lavender-ish color instead. Or perhaps swapping blue with green values, giving you a more orange-y color.

There's got to be a term for this... but I have no idea what it is. Do y'all?

Try this plugin: Reverse Colors

There are many more ways to accomplish what you're after. Here's a thread where I used Evan Olds' Conditional Hue & Saturation plugin to recolor a hallway: http://forums.getpai...post__p__348884

Other things to try: Adjustments > Curves

Er, actually, I'm looking for what the technique is actually called. Don't know if it's called "value swapping" or something else. It's a terminology question.

What the technique basically is is this:

Let's say you want to edit a picture to see what something looks like in another color. However, you want to keep the overall tone of said thing - so you'd swap two values. For anime-esque style pngs it's as simple as sampling the color, swapping the values, and using a global fill with the selections you want to change highlighted. I figure with something like a real life photo, where you'd say "I wonder what that dress looks like in purple", you'd select the dress part and use a tool to do it to every pixel in the selection.

So basically, #FF66CC becomes #CC66FF. Or if you prefer orange, #FFCC66. Or if you prefer a light blue/cyan, #66CCFF. And so on. It is not a scale of inversion, but rather a technique that takes the value from color A and swaps it with the value of color B (or for further usability, has the ability to replace as well).

Edited by RoleOfGSHC

If you use the rgb remap plugin (in Effects:Color if you have it), it is possible to achieve this effect.

For example, if you wish to switch red with blue, it would look like the following picture:

RGBremap.png

Basically, put 255 in the box by the color you want to switch to.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

...So the process is called remapping? I mean, it's great that you linked a plugin, but I want to know what to call it when talking to friends and the like, as well as look up examples to show them... If it's called remapping... then thanks for the answer!

I know you guys are being helpful, but I'm not actually looking for a plugin this time... ^-^;

I suppose it's called color remapping then, although swapping two colors isn't all you do with color remapping xD Should have taken a closer look at the original question...people don't usually ask about terminology without asking for the plugin that does it lol. Glad to have been of help!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo