Forum rules suggestions

It seems like the last thread didn't go very far. This time, here are some more precise suggestions to make the rules slightly more readable (and less intimidating) by making existing rules more concise.

• I think Rule 6 should briefly explain the importance of using descriptive thread titles in questions, rather than going on to give a lot of examples and advice regarding email subject titles.
    6) Make thread titles descriptive. "How can I cut out an image" makes it much easier for people looking at thread titles to decide whether they might be able to answer your question than "HELP!". Threads with generic titles will be locked.
  • Similarly, rule 7 would be much easier to read as:
    7) You must be using the latest version of Paint.NET. If you're not sure, click Utilities -> Check for Updates (or Help -> Check for Updates). Your problem may already be solved in an update.

KaHuc.png

The problem is that forum users who do not read the rules will miss either version :(

I have absolutely no objection to refining the rules, it's getting users to actually read them that we need a solution for.

How about requiring a physical address upon registration, and instead of email confirmation I go to their house with a paddle and beat them till they read and agree to the rules?

• Upvote 1

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

The problem is that forum users who do not read the rules will miss either version :(

I have absolutely no objection to refining the rules, it's getting users to actually read them that we need a solution for.

Obviously I have no stats on this, but if the rules are too long, users may just decide to post anyway and hope their thread isn't locked, or not post at all (third-last paragraph).

Also, once the rules are short enough, they could be displayed on the registration page instead of the current "forum terms & rules", assuming IPB provides a way to do this.

KaHuc.png

I don't think the size of the rules puts people off. Anyone willing to seek them out will spend a few minutes reading through them. I think that people just don't bother.

I do like the idea of a prompt at login though. I wonder if we could publish a handful of the most transgressed rules on the login page with a link to the rest.

I do like the idea of a prompt at login though. I wonder if we could publish a handful of the most transgressed rules on the login page with a link to the rest.

Something like:

• Click Utilities -> Check for Updates (or Help -> Check for Updates) before asking a question.
  • Give your thread a descriptive title. "How do I cut out an image?" is better than "HELP!!!".
  • Search to see if your question has been answered.
  • Pay attention to the forum you're starting a thread in.
  • Write in English and avoid 1337sp34k.

With a way to refer back to it.

If IPB supports them, things like displaying an error when a thread title is vague seem like the best solution, but I'll try and keep this thread focussed.

• Upvote 1
KaHuc.png

That would be an improvement. We could quibble about the actual wording later.

We could also lose the "Registration Benefits" box. I mean 'sign up and make new friends?' That's just a bit desperate.

'Please' I can live with. It shows good manners after all.

'Help' requests can be purged IMHO.

Now, is it actually possible?

• Upvote 1

Something like:

With a way to refer back to it.

If IPB supports them, things like displaying an error when a thread title is vague seem like the best solution, but I'll try and keep this thread focussed.

I like this idea a lot!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

'Please' I can live with. It shows good manners after all.

'Help' requests can be purged IMHO.

With the rules Rick suggested, the warning wouldn't show if the title was over a certain length.

Now, is it actually possible?

If there's no native way to do it with IPB, it could be done with a javascript file added to the default theme (it wouldn't need to make it impossible to post a thread with a bad title, just discourage it).

KaHuc.png