My First

mocha

I'm certain there is a way to accomplish a "feathering" operation in Paint.Net, I just cannot find it. I am looking for details on exactly how to remove rough edges from some photos that I have cut out. It may be called softening instead of feathering, I'm not sure. If someone can please provide detailed instructions (in layman's terms) I sure would appreciate it.

Thank you so much BoltBait for your fast reply. I followed your detailed instructions and downloaded and installed the new tools. They are shown in "Effects". However, I am having a little problem getting them (feathering) to work for me. I opened a photo that I had recently cut out, which I saved as a JPEG. The photo has a white background. I then used the selection tool and selected the photo itself, then control I to invert the selection. At this point, I opened your feathering tool and tried numerous ways to make it work for me with no result.

Am I doing something wrong here? If you will be kind enough to help me figure all this out, I will be pleased to ante up a small token of my appreciation for your efforts. Many thanks.

The best way to do it is like this:

1. Open the picture you wish to cut FROM.

2. Use your selection tools to select the "good stuff" and press Ctrl-C to copy it to the clipboard.

3. Open the picture you wish to put the stuff TO.

4. Press Ctrl-Shift-V to paste your cutout to a new layer.

5. Press Esc key to deselect the new object.

6. Run the Effects > Object > Feather effect. Adjust the radius as necessary--usually 2.

Now, here is another way to do it:

1. Open the picture you wish to cut FROM.

2. Use your selection tools to select the "good stuff" and press Ctrl-C to copy it to the clipboard.

3. Open the picture you wish to put the stuff TO.

6. Run the Effects > Selection > Feather effect. Adjust the radius as necessary--usually 2.

Notice, the first method uses Object Feather and the second uses Selection Feather. They are different, but similar.

Object Feather finds the edges of objects by looking for non-trasparent pixels and it blurs those edges.

Selection Feather uses the actual selection outline as the guide to make the edges slightly transparent.

Play with both to see which one you like better. I use both depending on the situation.

Hello again BoltBait. As you know, you sent me information on a couple ways to feather rough edges. I have followed your instructions as closely as possible and get no good results. In your first method you suggest:

1. Open the picture you wish to cut FROM. (Bear in mind that I have a photo of a face only, with rough edges to be feathered).

2. Use your selection tool to select the "good stuff" ( I assume you mean to click directly on the face) and press Ctrl -C to copy it

to the clipboard.)

3. Open the picture you wish to put the stuff TO. (Herein lies a problem. The photo I am trying to feather is already opened

and showing on the screen as shown in Step 1 above.)

6. Run the Effects > Object>Feather effect. Adjust the radius as necessary--usually 2.

(I haven't really gotten to steps 4 thru 6 yet)

As you can see, I need a little more help if you will be kind enough.

Thanks Again BoltBait.