skew circle for pixel art

mspaint has has had a simple skew by angle since it was released. im getting frustrated and i just downloaded this program. is there a skew by angle plugin? something? i dont mean to sound like a jerk but this is just sad. not to mention that many post say o replies. so im guessing this isnt a very active forum.

Edited by BodyofLight

You make no sense.

really? i should explain myself better :doh:

its true that neaither graphics gale/ promotion/grafx2 (most bitmap/raster editors) dont allow skewing by angle. i already own photoshop elements 7. i was wrong to think that there might be an easier way. adobe limits photoshop elements in that they dont allow skewing by angle nooo, thats found in there big expensive package. im tired of manualy adjusting my circles and wanted to try paint .net. i thinks its quite a powerful and fun program to use. however as long as theres no skew/shear by angle... well, i dunno what to say, i cant really fault it cause most other raster editors dont skew/shear by degrees. so what am i gonna complain about? its free, its powerful, its fun, it has the same limitations to most other free/cheap programs, that cant/or wont allow skewing/shearing. by degree and i guess im just gonnna have to put up with that. (on a lighter note) i can definitely see.net replacing my photoshop elements 7/gimp (insert raster/bitmap editor here)

Edited by BodyofLight

...so try welshblue's suggestion and go to the "layer" menu and click on "Rotate/zoom." Voilà! Skewing by angle

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

...so try welshblue's suggestion and go to the "layer" menu and click on "Rotate/zoom." Voilà! Skewing by angle

is there a way to rotate/zoom so the settings precisely skew the circle at 30 degrees? btw, i read the rules, seems my frustration got the best me. im guessing its pretty common for peoples frustration to come out in there posts. especially with newbies. im sorry. heres a virtual slice of pizza :pizza: because everybody loves pizza.

bol

Edited by BodyofLight

top of PDN

pick the LAYER tab, then choose the rotate/zoom

or press Ctrl-Shift-Z

you will have to put your circle on its own layerth_rotate.png

I think, with a little more exploring, that you will find PDN more powerful than you ever dreamed

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

top of PDN

pick the LAYER tab, then choose the rotate/zoom

or press Ctrl-Shift-Z

you will have to put your circle on its own layer

I think, with a little more exploring, that you will find PDN more powerful than you ever dreamed

i have the circle drawn on a new layer, i choose rotate/zoom, the problem is, i select the box titled angle' i set it to 30 degrees, and click ok. but it didn't do anything, so, i select, angle/twist angle/twist radius, and set them all to 30 degrees, click ok, that also has no effect on the circle. so, i 'manually' edit the angle/twist/radius, and doing so, i do get a skewed circle.

what i don't understand is, if there is a way to set precise coordinates in the a/t/r/ boxes to create a precise isometric 30 degree circle?, must skewing be done manually, and adjusted by hand/eye? i would have no problem with that if it does need to be done manually and would be happy just for the rotate and zoom feature, but at this point, if theirs a way to precisely skew a shape into isometric view, it eludes me.its just matter of feeling like im doing something wrong. i admit, im i just started learning isometric pixel art last month so if my questions seem stupid, you know why :tardnoes:

Edited by BodyofLight

before i start making guesses as to what you having trouble with-- will you post o picture of what youre trying to achieve?

i opened pdn and was able to skew the circle quite easily- so i amn not sure the deal

the angle setting just rotates the picture on the center point

the twist radius and the twist angle skew it-- i have found that the twist angle will do nothing to a circle on its own, you must use both twist radius and twist angel to get the effect..

after entering the values (30.00) you wont see any changes to your picture unless you hit enter, the OK button, or click on another area in the rotate/zoom window(you dont have to change the new value, just click on it

once you have the skew where you need it, every time you open rotate/zoom during that session of PDN it will have those same values preloaded

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

Set twist angle to 90 and twist radius to 30. That should get you the isometric view you are looking for. However, if you are doing pixel art, you should try to draw it yourself because rotate/zoom will try to anti-alias your circle for you, as will all the plugins you try to use. It may be difficult to achieve at first, but after a little practice (it's quite easy actually), you'll get the hang of it. If needed, first draw a square with the isometric 30 degree angle, then round the corners off to make an elipse-type shape.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

http://lts.cr/fCh <--pdn file of below image

skewedpixelartcircle.gif

Just an example of what you would do for a pixel art skewed circle. Draw your isometric square, then draw a skewed circle on top and delete the guide square if you wish.

Just as a side note, it is very difficult/impossible to get a perfect 30 degree isometric view in pixel art. In my picture, I used simple 2:1 ratios of x:y shift which comes out to around 26.6 degrees.

Also, it helps to have drawn ellipses on graph paper in a math class.