How To Re-Size To 100 KB

rps

I have photos that are about 19 MB and wish to send them to a website that says the photos can be a maximum of 100 KB. I went to image and resize and decreased the PIXEL numbers ( the only way I figured out to move the size numbers down. When the top number showed 99 KB I saved it.

The problem is when I saved it to my flash drive and desktop and clicked on properties, the size was 18 KB, not 100 KB. And the image was a tiny one in the middle of my screen, not a full page like it was before. It is too small to use.

Why did the size say 99 KB in paint.net but 18 KB on my desktop and flashdrive? How do I re-size a photo to 100 KB and know that is what I am getting before I save? Thanks.

Why did the size say 99 KB in paint.net but 18 KB on my desktop and flashdrive?

99KB is how much space the image takes up in RAM. The image you save will (usually) be compressed (either lossy or lossless) and thus be smaller.

How do I re-size a photo to 100 KB and know that is what I am getting before I save?

If you're saving as JPEG you can drag the slider to vary the amount of compression (not size). I don't know of a way to see the final file size as you resize an image (other than using another program).

KaHuc.png

Reducing the filesize has its downsides.

Either you will end up with fewer pixels, in which case the image will be smaller. Or you will reduce the quality of the image (losing fine definition).

You're looking at 19mb being reduced down to 1/10th mb. Thats a big reduction! Expect tradeoffs.

Try reducing the size first. Halve the size and save a copy. Halve it again and save as another copy. Compare these files, and use the one with the closest size to your limit.

Also try altering the file type and compression used. Compare saving as a PNG and JPG for example.

As mentioned, JPG has a slider to control the quality (& therefore filesize). PNG has the OptiPNG plugin that can be used to squeeze png files without losing too much information.

If you get really stumped, upload your file and post a link here.

• 2 months later...

Reducing the filesize has its downsides.

Either you will end up with fewer pixels, in which case the image will be smaller. Or you will reduce the quality of the image (losing fine definition).

You're looking at 19mb being reduced down to 1/10th mb. Thats a big reduction! Expect tradeoffs.

Try reducing the size first. Halve the size and save a copy. Halve it again and save as another copy. Compare these files, and use the one with the closest size to your limit.

Also try altering the file type and compression used. Compare saving as a PNG and JPG for example.

As mentioned, JPG has a slider to control the quality (& therefore filesize). PNG has the OptiPNG plugin that can be used to squeeze png files without losing too much information.

If you get really stumped, upload your file and post a link here.

I have the same problem and don't see a way to resize files without a lot of effort. Find A Grave requires that any photos uploaded must be 750KB or less. I would like to have the file size as close to the limit as possible in order for the image to be as clear as possible for someone looking at in on <Family-friendly forum.>. I just now resized a file according to what I read above and watched the file size slider until I got an image size of 747KB. When I saved it the file size the resulted was 98.6KB. If the 747KB size is for RAM or some other thing I fail to see what possible use it is. I have about a 100 of these images from photographing grave stones and would like to set the upload file size as close as possible to 750KB as possible without a lot of guessing and retries. In the future I will have many more. Is there some way to do the file size adjustment that does not involve a lot of messing around? I could care less about the downsides mentioned above.

Edited by Joe G

It's indeed a chore the first few times you want to do this, but I've found you quickly figure out approximately what you should use for image size and quality targets.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg