How to Install Plugins ×

WebP Filetype (2023-11-26)

null54

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Vitor said:

Why Lossless at quality 100 results in smaller files then Lossless at quality 0?

When lossless compression is enabled the quality slider controls the compression speed, larger values produce a smaller file.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2023 at 2:56 AM, null54 said:

Q: Why Lossless at quality 100 results in smaller files then Lossless at quality 0?

A: When lossless compression is enabled the quality slider controls the compression speed, larger values produce a smaller file.

This information should be added to

• Post 1 of this thread
  • The GitHub repo readme
  • In the 'More Information' section of the plugin
    put-text-here.jpg.41db228bb62a4f35294a8b3674ceb9dc.jpg

• null54 changed the title to WebP Filetype (2023-05-01)

Release version 1.3.17.

Changes:

• Disable the quality slider when using lossless compression.
    • Lossless compression will always use a quality value of 100.
  • Added a few optimizations to the EXIF parsing code.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.89bafb242fd6de4e726eff0ab68ab5cd.png

Can someone explain to me what the different presets do. I know the icon one might be for icons but what does it actually change?

Can this be added to the readme

Thanks

42 minutes ago, shoulders said:

I know the icon one might be for icons but what does it actually change?

The preset options attempt to tune the WebP encoder settings for the specified type of content, the details of the changes are not documented.

PdnSig.png

• 2 weeks later...

@null54 Thanks for the info

I have this image of a client and when i save it using lossless it is about 2.2mb. I then run it through www.tinypng.com and it reduces it to 24kb. It does have the background out of focus (blurry) and the guys head is in focus. When I use lossy it will only ever reduce it to 1.9mb not matter what the quality of the image looks like in the preview bar. The slider, I think it is at about 80% when the file size no longer reduces below 1.9mb.

Is there any way to make the compression more aggressive in the plugin or is tinypng.com doing something different?

I have looked at the library's switches and there is a lot. 😀

2 hours ago, shoulders said:

Is there any way to make the compression more aggressive in the plugin or is tinypng.com doing something different?

Based on the tinypng.com home page, it performs its own optimization steps when compressing an image.

2 hours ago, shoulders said:

I have looked at the library's switches and there is a lot. 😀

Yes, libwebp and the cwebp utility do have a lot of options. The Paint.NET plugin UI only offers the most common options to keep things simple.

You could try compressing your image with cwebp to see if any of the advanced options it offers make a difference.

Based on your description, I am wondering if the blurred background is causing issues for libwebp's compression algorithm.

PdnSig.png

On 5/24/2023 at 11:54 AM, null54 said:

Based on your description, I am wondering if the blurred background is causing issues for libwebp's compression algorithm.

I think you are right about the background.

I had another Idea (I can add on github if you like it).

On the plugin page you could add a input box that would allow the end user to use there own switches. This would allow them/me to play with the libwebp/cwebp settings.

I appreciate this might no be the easiest to do do, input validation, unexpected output... but worth a look. 😀

Perhaps also the input box would remember what you had in it on the last run and maybe a reset back to plugin default (this would also be useful to see what the current defaults that are used are).

webp-additional-switches.png.1575b6873cdeea8136dd3d9872e5d293.png

5 hours ago, shoulders said:

On the plugin page you could add a input box that would allow the end user to use there own switches. This would allow them/me to play with the libwebp/cwebp settings.

I am not doing that.

I would have to write and maintain my own version of the cwebp switch parsing code, which is way too much work for a feature that very few users need.

Yours is only the second request I have received to expose the advanced cwebp options in the plugin UI, the other one was from someone who needed to set the 'partition_limit' switch when saving an image that was close to the WebP maximum image size.

PdnSig.png

• null54 changed the title to WebP Filetype (2023-07-03)

Release version 1.3.18.

Changes:

• Updated libwebp to version 1.3.1.
  • Added the plugin and libwebp versions to the save UI.
  • Like 1

PdnSig.png

• null54 changed the title to WebP Filetype (2023-08-06)
  • null54 changed the title to WebP Filetype (2023-09-14)

Release version 1.3.20

Changes:

• Updated libwebp to version 1.3.2.
  • Ignore corrupted EXIF data.
  • Like 1

PdnSig.png

• null54 changed the title to WebP Filetype (2023-11-26)

Release version 1.3.21.

Changes:

• Load the first frame of an animated image.
  • Support writing the EXIF IFD tags.
  • Upvote 1

PdnSig.png