Abusing Noise (images are back up)

Xhin

In this tutorial (It might be part of a series of "abuse" tutorials :P), I'm going to show you how to abuse the "Noise" feature to get vibrant abstract images, interesting starry backgrounds, wispy confetti, and more.

1. We start with a plain background. I'm using black for the sake of this tutorial.

1.png

2. Add noise, setting the coverage to somewhere between 10-20.

2.png

3. Go to the layers menu and hit "rotate/zoom". Zoom in. I use between 2-3, but it can differ depending on your needs and how much coverage you selected above.

3.png

4. Add noise again (Ctrl+F) and zoom in again (Ctrl+Shift+Z)

4.png

5. Do this a few times. It'll give you a nice nebulous background.

5a. If you want interesting-looking stars, start with lower coverage and zoom in more (I think I went for coverage: 10 and zoom: 4x last time). I've used that technique in the following two pieces:

birthtimespace.png

earthdream.png

5b. If you want vibrant abstract backgrounds, Do #5 until you have small amounts of black space, large "clouds" and a new layer of noise on top.

5.png

6. Apply dents. Scale should be between 10-20. The effect you're looking for is small enough to not obscure anything and unrefractive enough to keep a couple noise particles, but weave most of them into the dents.

6.png

7. Do this however many times you want. (Ctrl+F). Doing it more loses more detail but makes the dents run smoother.

7.png

7b. If you want confetti, go for very low coverage, make sure your final product has only zoomed-in-noise, and increase the scale of the dents. Pieces where I've used confetti:

sky%20confetti.png

seafloor.png

8. Lastly, pieces where I've used the main noise-abusing techniques:

platypus.png

mayan.png

thousandrainbows.png

greenhouse.png

mindofthesnail.png

Hope you find this helpful!

Edited by Xhin

xhin.png

looks nice i'm gonna give it a try :P

teknightsignb.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery

Today is a gift.

So go use Paint.Net before it's to late!

Whoa, that looks awesome! Please tell me how you got the tile reflection pieces to be multicolored (if it's easier than applying 389482 gradients that is :P) since I've been wanting to do that for a while to make some new multicolored pieces.

As far as the backgrounds go, I use different dents and gradient them into the landscape. There's a trick to it (see my upcoming Abusing Dents tutorial :P).

There's a trick to some of the cooler-looking twists too (other than the ones that are just twists of the jewel-looking object). Might make a tut for that.

Sharpen up your twist to the right with gradienting-in a relief of the image. It helps it pop out more, like its (probable) inspiration here:

mindofthespider.png

reliefs work great on twists (well the kinds I'll show in the tutorial), certain types of dents, and certain types of "webbing".

I should make a "Webbing" tutorial soon too. There are so many types I haven't explored, and I'd love to see what you guys could come up with.

As for the coloring/polish, can't help you with that. It usually takes a good hour for me, so good luck :P

xhin.png

Aaand server's back up.

On topic:

Madjik, I'll definitely check that plugin out. I use all kinds of tile reflections in my new pieces, so the more options, the better.

Also, I'm about to release a second tutorial that expands on this one a bit in one section.

xhin.png

• 3 months later...

Step 4 is borderline Bokeh. Awesome stuff!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.