Color Palette - Color Description?

Is there any way with 3.5.8 to name the color inside the palette so the selected color name will display somewhere in the palette (if a name exists)? If not, then as a feature request for version 4; when the user hovers over the color with their mouse cursor, a small pop up will display at the cursor tip with the color name listed in a palette file comment. This feature would allow for quick color selection by name for projects that are color name specific/customer color specific. The current process of referencing a palette text file RGB code list with commented description, then entering the required RGB codes for each color needed can be a bit time consuming for larger projects.

while i like the idea of being given the code when you hover over a colour in the palette, i dont realy see a need for it, since you can customize your palette with the colours you want-where you want them. unless your short term memory is even worse than mine, remembering that the green you are using is 4 over and three down(or whatever) should be fairly simple. that, combined with the colour picker tool, lets you get the right colour everytime

also, there are so many possible colours that naming them would be nearly impossible unless you worked for crayolaboltbait.tongue.png

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

Nice idea, but there are a couple of other things that i would rather have in 4.0 than this. But yea if Rick got the time it could be nice boltbait.roll.png

teknightsignb.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery

Today is a gift.

So go use Paint.Net before it's to late!

; Paint.NET Palette File

; Lines that start with a semicolon are comments

; Colors are written as 8-digit hexadecimal numbers: aarrggbb

; For example, this would specify green: FF00FF00

; The alpha ('aa') value specifies how transparent a color is. FF is fully opaque, 00 is fully transparent.

; A palette must consist of ninety six (96) colors. If there are less than this, the remaining color

; slots will be set to white (FFFFFFFF). If there are more, then the remaining colors will be ignored.

;

;Butter

FFfce94f

FFedd400

FFc4a000

;Orange

FFfcaf3e

FFf57900

FFce5c00

;Chocolate

FFe9b96e

FFc17d11

FF8f5902

;Chameleon

FF8ae234

FF73d216

FF4e9a06

;Sky Blue

FF729fcf

FF3465a4

FF204a87

So if the above is loaded as the current palette, hovering over color FFfce94f gives the tooltip "Butter". I like.

Of course no comment, no tooltip. There might also need to be some sort of limit to the number of characters.

I like the idea! It could be very useful for custom palettes.

On the other hand, after one has been working on the same project and with the same palette for a few hours, the tooltips could get very annoying.

So, I propose to whoever has the knowledge/skills/time/inclination/will to implement such a wonderful feature, to consider a lag of, say, two seconds before the tooltip pops up.

Xkds4Lh.png