How to add an effect to multiple gradients properly

Ok, so I'm making userbars, and I'm using the trick to have multiple gradients in multiple layers. (I don't really think I'm doing it right though, first I make the whole first layer a certain colour, then go from the left with the next colour with the second colour transparent?) And for those layers, I'm trying to add the cloud effect (something to make it look nicer, I hate how lame/2d it looks without any effects) to all the layers with them blending into each other, but I eventually see one of the clouds effects under another effect/colour and it's just a big mess- I can see every colour mashed together. When I use the rectangle tool to select where the cloud effect goes, or the eraser to erase what I don't want, it looks kinda square like, and it doesn't blend with the other colour. ;-;

I have the plugins all downloaded btw.

So anyone know how to make it blend? (And if anyone has any other cool effects for user bars, they'd be much appreciated. I've only been using fire and clouds, really >.>)

Edited by Dredragon

It's difficult to help with the blending problem without seeing the image in question. Can you upload it? Alternatively, can you give us a link to a finished image with the effect you like so we can see what you're trying to create?

This tutorial might give you some help/ideas for userbars: http://forums.getpai...erbar-tutorial/

It's difficult to help with the blending problem without seeing the image in question. Can you upload it? Alternatively, can you give us a link to a finished image with the effect you like so we can see what you're trying to create?

This tutorial might give you some help/ideas for userbars: http://forums.getpai...erbar-tutorial/

FireboyUserbar2png-1.png?t=1305852417I can make pogeymon sigs like this (this one being mine), but I forget how I made it blend into each other nice. You may have to look closely to see that the cloud effects are blending nice. I think it had something to do with having one colour being transparent or something like that. But no matter how much I fiddle around with it, it doesn't work. ;-;

Example.png?t=1305852890 This is what I'm getting. The first two colours won't blend after the cloud effect, and if I select an area you'll see an outline after I blur it that's in the same shape as the selection tool I used. I guess what I want to do is have a gradient with multiple colours, with each blending in the next. I'm not sure if you can do that, I think somehow I made the cloud effect transparent at the end or something, then did the same to the layer below etc. Sorry if I seem like I'm rambling...

Edited by Dredragon

Create the gradient on a single layer using this plugin: Multi-color Gradient

Then render your clouds over the top on a second layer using the Clouds effect, or this plugin: Sepcot's Clouds Plugin

Create the gradient on a single layer using this plugin: Multi-color Gradient

Then render your clouds over the top on a second layer using the Clouds effect, or this plugin: Sepcot's Clouds Plugin

But all the colours will be mashed into one... and it'll look like a weird bar of colours scattered everywhere. I haven't tried the other cloud plugin, so I will.

1. Use the Multi color gradient plugin to render your gradient across the canvas.

2. Set the secondary color to fully transparent.

3. Render clouds on a new layer.

Presto!

mcgdemo.png

But all the colours will be mashed into one... and it'll look like a weird bar of colours scattered everywhere. I haven't tried the other cloud plugin, so I will.

Sorry to double post, but I would like to say that I've solved my problem, and I'm wondering if what I did would be useful for other userbars.

I used the cloud effect, using 2 colours, one colour being much darker then the first, but still close to the same colour ( you can change it, but I don't think it'll blend).

Make a new layer, do the same thing with another colour, then erase all the way up to where you want it to show (at this point I made the yellow show here it does because I wanted all colours to have about equal space), then put your eraser at transparent white with like 4 alpha, and erase some from the beginning of the yellow, to make it seem like it's blending. After that, I selected around the tip again, then used the feather plugin at max (functionality?) to make it blend as well as possible. When that's done, rinse and repeat with another colour. The end result is this, what I was trying to do. Now I can put my pokemon on it, add the scanlines, the shine, border, font and etc.

Userbarexample-1.png?t=1305949826

Sorry to waste your time like this, I decided to search for a "soft eraser" on google, which helped me find the feather, which at the same time showed me I could turn the alpha on the eraser down.

Also, for Tl;Dr if this below, is something that hasn't been done, then maybe I could post a tutorial on it. If there's a way to blend more like that, or if someone's done it already, then it'd be nice if you could show me, thanks!

EDIT: I was puting this together for like an hour, lol. Thank you for the input! That seems like a much easier way to do it. I'll try to mess around with it. Looks much neater too, lol.

After playing around a bit, I found out that for my userbars it's better to have it much more colourful, like how I made mine using two colours per part. I made that one rather quick, and I'll need to make it blend more, but if you know what I mean, is there anything that could help me in doing that? I don't wwant to bug you anymore, but if you kinda know what I mean, then... yaaa.

Also, last thing for this mega long paragraph, is there a like or reputation system or something? You've just been so helpful that I want to show my appreciation somehow. o-o

Edited by Dredragon

...Thank you for the input! That seems like a much easier way to do it. I'll try to mess around with it. Looks much neater too, lol.

Glad I could help. I'm always looking for the simplest and cleanest solution.

After playing around a bit, I found out that for my userbars it's better to have it much more colourful, like how I made mine using two colours per part. I made that one rather quick, and I'll need to make it blend more, but if you know what I mean, is there anything that could help me in doing that?

Seriously try the multicolor gradient plugin. I ran it at the defaults, but you can do waaaay more than that with it.

Also, last thing for this mega long paragraph, is there a like or reputation system or something? You've just been so helpful that I want to show my appreciation somehow. o-o

You have thanked me enough :D I don't profit from my efforts here on the forum - call it altruism. However, if you really like Paint.net then please show your support by donating (Help menu > Donate ;) ).

A few of the plugin authors also have donation buttons on their plugin threads....,