How do I get Paint.net to auto save in JPEG and not PNG?

Paint.net auto saves my files as PNG. This is VERY annoying because I am saving many, many files. Each time I save I have to switch it to JPEG. If it is PNG I cannot see the file on my PC (it will be invisible). Plus, more programs use JPEG than PNG. This auto choosing PNG is a big waist of my time/energy/effort. Plz, is there an option to change this? If not plz fix this!

i really dont get it, why wouldn't you save in png, png is a loos less format jpeg suck you will get an all blured out and bad picture out of that, i really dont understand why you can not see png files png is the best file format in my opinion.

Edit: I don't think there are any modern programs who let you use JPEG but not PNG...

Edited by Teknight

teknightsignb.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery

Today is a gift.

So go use Paint.Net before it's to late!

Paint.net auto saves my files as PNG. This is VERY annoying because I am saving many, many files. Each time I save I have to switch it to JPEG.

PNG is a lossless format, so when you save you don't lose any data. JPEG is a lossy format, so if you save an image you lose data.

If it is PNG I cannot see the file on my PC (it will be invisible). Plus, more programs use JPEG than PNG.

If you cannot view a png file properly then it's time you upgraded your computer. The PNG format has been gaining currency and is now the de facto standard for the internet.

... Plz, is there an option to change this?

Save yourself a template in the JPEG format. Double click on it to open it. Save will retain the original filename, Save As..., will default to the original file type (*.jpg)

At what point did I say this was a PNG vs. JPEG debate??? I don't give a damn what PNG can or cannot do. I'm not even argueing against PNG! I just don't want to auto-go-to-save-in PNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY PC IS NOT SET UP FOR PNG. If it was I would use png. I just don't care for perfect pretty graphic files. I am mass producing. MASS PRODUCING. I need stuff done fast.

PNG is a lossless format, so when you save you don't lose any data. JPEG is a lossy format, so if you save an image you lose data.

If you cannot view a png file properly then it's time you upgraded your computer. The PNG format has been gaining currency and is now the de facto standard for the internet.

Save yourself a template in the JPEG format. Double click on it to open it. Save will retain the original filename, Save As..., will default to the original file type (*.jpg)

My PC is upgraded. Most my files are in jpeg format. If I go to look for a file the png will not show. There is nothing wrong with my PC I like it just the way it is but let's say there was something wrong with it. Just how do you suggest I upgrade so my PC shows both jpeg and png at the same time when I'm looking thru my files???

Okay, if I use snip to take a pic off the internet of a butterfly and I save it in jpeg. Then I open it in Paint.net. Then I copy it. Then I choose New. Then I paste it. Then I draw a happy birthday on it. Then I go to "save as...". It will always try to save as png.

The reason for this is simple: Paint.NET will always default so that you will not lose data.

PNG is lossless (you will not lose data no matter how many times you open/save the file). JPG is not. Even at 100% quality, opening and saving a JPG file will lose quality with every iteration. It is like making a copy of a copy on a photocopier... it starts looking ugly very quickly.

If you don't care about quality, Paint.NET may not be the photo editor for you.

Rick has stated in the past that this will not be changed. Therefore, I'm closing this post as "Question Answered".