Best way to get rid of these rough edges?

Hello, this is the first piece I have really sunk my teeth into with Paint.net (love this program by the way). I think I'm starting to get a hang of using layers for color and shading etc., but I need help to finish.

Could someone tell me the best way to get rid of the rough edges around the monster? If you look close, there is a small edge of "green" between his outline and the black background, and I know it would take forever to try and use the eraser tool to do it, plus I would just screw it up. There has got to be a better way.

Also, what if I decided to add a details background, (swamp scene or something), does anyone have a recommendation on how I might best integrate something like that?

Thanks a lot.

PS: this software is so perfect for someone like me.... I have been an artist all my life, and always I have been jealous of people who can afford expensive photo editing and art programs, while I was stuck with MSPaint... This opens so many doors for me. Thank you Paint.net!!!

bollywog.png

i would try using a guassian blur at 1 or 2 radius then AAs assistant first to try and blend that "green" outline into the black- might leave of the blur, id have to try it and see if it degraded my monster...

as for adding a background- first get rid of the black http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/ save the image with a ttransparent background, then create a new backgrounsd and past mr monster on a layer above it

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

i would try using a guassian blur at 1 or 2 radius then AAs assistant first to try and blend that "green" outline into the black- might leave of the blur, id have to try it and see if it degraded my monster...

as for adding a background- first get rid of the black http://forums.getpai...ing-out-images/ save the image with a ttransparent background, then create a new backgrounsd and past mr monster on a layer above it

Thanks for the help... I'm a newb though, what's AAs Assistant?

AAs assitant is an anti-aliasing effect, meant for smoothing edges, but if your trying to blend in something thats only a pixel wide it can do the job

effects/object/AAs assistant believe that comes in dpys plugin pack http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=4235

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

I was going to say something, but from the looks of the improved picture, I think you figured it out (nice work!). Love the teeth on that thing XD

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo