How to Install Plugins ×

Object Reflections Plugin - Wet Floor Effect

BoltBait

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is possible otherwise, but would there be some way to customize the direction that the reflection goes? I'm pretty much a graphics n00b--I usually leave that to my architect fiancee :wink:

Anyways, I ask because it would seem like that would be useful for achieving certain mirror/ glass effects--help make the effect of sunlight streaming through colored/stained glass.

Probably a silly idea, but thought I would put it out there.

These tutorials and plugins are great. Much better than the GIMP--at least for me.

I'm not sure if this is possible otherwise, but would there be some way to customize the direction that the reflection goes? I'm pretty much a graphics n00b--I usually leave that to my architect fiancee :wink:

Anyways, I ask because it would seem like that would be useful for achieving certain mirror/ glass effects--help make the effect of sunlight streaming through colored/stained glass.

Probably a silly idea, but thought I would put it out there.

These tutorials and plugins are great. Much better than the GIMP--at least for me.

You could use the layer rotation after the reflection...

I suppose so, but wouldn't that end up rotating the "reflected object" as well?

At least that's what happened when I gave it a try. Are you suggesting splitting the reflection from the object itself and then rotating the "reflection layer"?

Or would you have to have two versions of the object that you want reflected, do the reflection on one, rotate it, and then remove the actual object from that and merge with the other one?

I guess the question is, could you have something that was perfectly vertical, and then still have the reflection come at an angle?

Just curious

Well, if you select your image, paste it onto a bigger canvas and rotate it to the opposite of the direction you want the effect to be applied to, apply the effect, then magic wand the empty space, invert selection, cut, paste into original image and rotate selection back to normal, you'll have what I think you were asking about.

~~

• 2 weeks later...

BB,

Whenever I use this plugin for reflecting "3D" objects I get real bad jaggies on my diagonal lines...

any thought on adding some type of anti-aliasing to this effect plugin?

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

BB,

Whenever I use this plugin for reflecting "3D" objects I get real bad jaggies on my diagonal lines...

any thought on adding some type of anti-aliasing to this effect plugin?

barkbark00, I see what you are talking about.

Here is an example image where the curve in the top circle is being reflected to the bottom circle:

ReflectError.jpg

The issue is coming from the line (pointed to from the big red arrow) that triggers the reflection--it is not smooth! This is causing the reflection to be off by +/- one pixel. Not sure I can do anything about that... Maybe have a transparancy trigger point, like 128 or higher triggers the reflection and below that level is ignored...? Any other ideas?

Have you tried setting the ignore amount higher?

That just brings the reflection closer to the bottom of my object...

BoltBait,

That is exactly what I am talking about. Sorry, but I have no idea how to fix it...

EDIT:

I tried recreating this effect using a vertical flip and Madjik's Oblique plugin. I had the "Detail" level set to "0" (no anti-aliasing applied).

................test.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

EDIT:

I tried recreating this effect using a vertical flip and Madjik's Oblique plugin. I had the "Detail" level set to "0" (no anti-aliasing applied).

................test.png

Yes, I'm new here...I'm thoroughly enjoying this version of Paint.NET, though.

I found wet floor first, but your example looks a lot smoother...would you consider a post covering the steps you used?

For that matter, BoltBait, have you given any more thought to adding an antialiasing slider (or something like that)...a control to adjust the sharpness of the reflection might be handy for simulating different surfaces, too...glass floor vs. wet floor vs. damp floor

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

My steps will only work with image shown...for the most part.

Here it is anyway:

I drew my box(the part being reflected). Then I duplicated that layer and flipped it vertically. Then I split that new layer into to separate layers at the point where the 2 box sides meet. Then I used Madjik's Oblique plugin to morph each of the sides to line up with the original object(my box). Lastly, I used the transparent gradient(like in Rick's Camaro tut) to blend the bottom parts.

• 1 month later...

I like the plugin and used it for a reflection on my homemade "sphere".

I noticed that when I tried to reflect a circle I got a few pixels that changed from the origonal color i assigned them to clear. This happened at the junction between the "bottom" of the object and the "top" of the reflection, and only really affected the top of the reflection. It was easy to fix (just colored the pixels back) and in my opinion does nothing to take away from the usefulness of the plug.

sunsigub8.png

• 1 month later...
Is it possible for this plugin to have an option "Keep original image" check box like the drop shadow plugin?

Thanks!!

And, what would that function do?

The only pixels this plugin modifies are the totally transparent pixels in the selected area.

Is it possible for this plugin to have an option "Keep original image" check box like the drop shadow plugin?

Thanks!!

And, what would that function do?

The only pixels this plugin modifies are the totally transparent pixels in the selected area.

That would give only the reflection, and I can move/ditort/adjust only the reflection. Without the need to dup layer, use plugin, erase the object.

If it's a simple outline object it would be easy to erase. however, some shapes made from shape 3d might take much more time to erase the object and left with only the reflection.

It would be cool if the plugin can do that, but it's ok if it can't. :)

Or if there is already some faster way to do it, that I am not aware, please let me know.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Does the distance look correct? I've tried different selections

to get it closer to original image but can't.

What is your response?

WetFloorReflec.jpg

Is it me --or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

wetfloor-38cb53.jpg

By default this effect uses the transparency to reflect on it.

1. Text with small white area below it : reflect is near to the original

2. Text with large white area below it : reflect is far from the original

3. Text with transparency around it : reflect is distorted and sticked to the original

Thanks MadJik, This explains my problem. I'll work on it.

All your plug-ins are great.

Is it me --or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?