Transparent Selection?

I love this program, and use it for 99% of my image editing. However, one thing that irks me a bit is its inability to let me do a transparent selection ala MSPaint. When I move or cut the selection, it picks up everything, revealin the grey/white pixel canvas underneath. In MSPaint, it leaves the background intact. I've searched the forums a bit and couldn't find a solution to this problem, hence this topic. Thanks in advance for the help.

its realy simple -- leave the background layer white- rename it "base" add a layer call it your background and never merge the base layer

then anytime you erase all the way thru you will see white-- just like mspaint

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

It works, but to an extent. Here's an example...

Your method with Paint.NET. Note the white background of the lettering that is overlayed onto the other part of the picture:

fg56V.jpg

Now with MSPaint, note how the lettering has no background at all, and only it itself is overlayed onto the rest of the picture:

i4Gtl.jpg

That is what I want to acheive with Paint.NET

Edited by hellslave

now i see what you are talking about-- not really a background issue, but a way to move pieces of one image without picking up the surrounding pixels.. there are a couple of simplistic tuts in newbe playground on it, but i assume you want a one step method-- i dont know one-sorry

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

• 6 months later...

With your work layer above the white background layer,

cut/paste into a new layer or copy/paste into a new layer.

Press F4, and set the new layer Blending mode to Multiply.

Is the an better way? cause this is not a very good solution

I guess I'm not sure what you're talking about. MS Paint doesn't do anything here that Paint.NET doesn't do. Except not have layers.

You need to have a base, "Background" layer that contains all of your background items. The text gets typed on the next layer up and you can move it without damaging the background layer at all.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I believe you are trying to take an existing image and remove only the objects on the white background without affecting the background. If that's the case, paste the image on a new layer (without touching the white background layer pdn defaults to), then cut the piece you want to move and paste it on a new layer. Finally, use the "grim color reaper" plugin to remove the white.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 1 year later...

I see what hellslave is talking about. I dont know if this will work, but try it out. Try to make a transperant background and everything else transperant as well that you dont want to see (depending on image), then after you are done, fill the background image with white and flatten the image.

• 5 months later...
You can do the "transparent selection" in following these steps:

1: Select the area like you do normally.

2: With the Magic Wand Tool (in subtractive selection mode), keep the shift key pushed and click on the color you want to not select.

I have tried to automate this but I have not found how to macro/script it with Paint.NET. If you have an idea how to do please send me a message.

Edited by Mikplayeur

• 3 years later...

Transparent selection is really cool hack in MSPaint. I would love to see it in Paint.NET. It is true that there are ways to do "copy/paster everything but background-color pixels" but MSPaint does it in really user friendly way.

I'm not adding that to Paint.NET. I've already said as much before, I haven't changed my stance, and I'm not going to.

I disagree that it is a "user friendly" feature of mspaint -- It is causing brain damage for its users, preventing them from understanding and making use of layers in other, more advanced, imaging software. 

This thread has been inactive for over 3 years, and I'm closing it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg