Sign in to follow this  
BoltBait

Feather Plugin (Now with Source)

You mean the PDN folder to save into? You don't really need to. Save to your desktop. Expand the zip file. Open Explorer and go to My Computer> Local Disk (C or whatever disk PDN is installed on)> Program Files> Paint.NET> Effects. Drag the .dll file into the effects folder. There you go. I hope this is what your asking.

Well, use explorer either directly or by opening up "my computer" click on the C: Hard Drive, Click on Program Files, Click on the Paint.NET folder, and then you'll see the effects folder, just move the extract dll, in this case Feather.dll into the effects folder. Next time you start up Paint.NET it will be in the effects menu under Blurs.

Other plug-ins are added the same way, except for plugins like the icon/cursor one which is put into formats.

Thanks Scyphrex.

BTW, another way to find out where Paint.NET is installed:

Right-click on the Paint.NET icon (either in your start menu or on your desktop) and choose Properties from the context menu. On the properties page, click the "Find Target" button.

This will open a window where Paint.NET is installed. Now, in that window, simply double-click on the Effects folder. From there, you can paste or drag your effect DLL file into that window.

BoltBait, have you seen my request above? I think the idea is not that stupid. At least I would be glad to see Halo in "Blurs" (or if the code would be made public). Halo is a nice effect but not well-known I think...

I will not spam again ("double-request", I mean).

OK, did I just miss something? I'm DESPERATE to add this "feather" to my PDN. Does it just add the feature to the program? And every time I open PDN the feather feature should be there? Can anyone give me a step by step way to add this feature? I'm not too good with computers so sorry about that. I keep trying to add it and open it with PDN but then it takes me to PDN and it says something like "image type cannot be recognized". And yes, I know it's not an image. Anyway, can someone PLEASE help me? It seems a lot easier to use the feather feature than to the lasso tool w/ the gossian blur.

OK, did I just miss something? I'm DESPERATE to add this "feather" to my PDN. Does it just add the feature to the program? And every time I open PDN the feather feature should be there? Can anyone give me a step by step way to add this feature? I'm not too good with computers so sorry about that. I keep trying to add it and open it with PDN but then it takes me to PDN and it says something like "image type cannot be recognized". And yes, I know it's not an image. Anyway, can someone PLEASE help me? It seems a lot easier to use the feather feature than to the lasso tool w/ the gossian blur.

You should look here: http://boltbait.googlepages.com/install

Once you've followed those instructions, it'll be in Effects > Blurs.

OK, I FINALLY managed to download the feather feature. The reason I was having so much trouble is because I was using Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer.

But now I'm having another problem...

I looked at the instruction page here:

http://boltbait.googlepages.com/feather

I followed all the directions, but nothing happened to my cut image. See the image below?

stuff007cat.jpg

And before you ask, these are NOT the images I intend to use this effect for, this is just an EXAMPLE. I took two random images and threw them together.

So, you see the cat? That's an image I copied and pasted into the other image. How do I make the edges (the outside) of that image of the cat look blurred with the Feather?

Maybe I just misunderstood the directions, but does anyone think there's a step I may have missed? I tried it several times. Does anyone have more specific directions maybe? For someone who's not so good at computers?

I have rewritten this effect from scratch. The effect now shows up in the Effects > Object submenu.

It now includes a third slider to control the strength of the effect:

FeatherUI.png

Thanks, everyone.

BTW, I really did rewrite this from scratch.

The old render loop was 335 lines long and the new one is 50 lines. It is so nice and clean, I might actually publish the source... eventually. ;)

Thanks, everyone.

BTW, I really did rewrite this from scratch.

The old render loop was 335 lines long and the new one is 50 lines. It is so nice and clean, I might actually publish the source... eventually. ;)

Could be interesting to have a look at the code, yes...

And old DLL was about 8.5ko (codelab?) but new is about 20ko (VS) :(

I have rewritten this effect from scratch. The effect now shows up in the Effects > Object submenu.

It now includes a third slider to control the strength of the effect:

FeatherUI.png

Suggestion: please rename the Amount control to "Radius" or "Width" to be more intuitive.

I think words Amount and Strength have too similar meaning and this is confusing for occasional users.