How to Install Plugins ×

Feather Plugin (Now with Source)

BoltBait

Thanks Scyphrex.

BTW, another way to find out where Paint.NET is installed:

Right-click on the Paint.NET icon (either in your start menu or on your desktop) and choose Properties from the context menu. On the properties page, click the "Find Target" button.

This will open a window where Paint.NET is installed. Now, in that window, simply double-click on the Effects folder. From there, you can paste or drag your effect DLL file into that window.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, did I just miss something? I'm DESPERATE to add this "feather" to my PDN. Does it just add the feature to the program? And every time I open PDN the feather feature should be there? Can anyone give me a step by step way to add this feature? I'm not too good with computers so sorry about that. I keep trying to add it and open it with PDN but then it takes me to PDN and it says something like "image type cannot be recognized". And yes, I know it's not an image. Anyway, can someone PLEASE help me? It seems a lot easier to use the feather feature than to the lasso tool w/ the gossian blur.

"I'd rather bleed out a long stream from being lonely and feel blessed than drown, laying face down, in a puddle of respect"--The Wallflowers

OK, did I just miss something? I'm DESPERATE to add this "feather" to my PDN. Does it just add the feature to the program? And every time I open PDN the feather feature should be there? Can anyone give me a step by step way to add this feature? I'm not too good with computers so sorry about that. I keep trying to add it and open it with PDN but then it takes me to PDN and it says something like "image type cannot be recognized". And yes, I know it's not an image. Anyway, can someone PLEASE help me? It seems a lot easier to use the feather feature than to the lasso tool w/ the gossian blur.

You should look here: http://boltbait.googlepages.com/install

Once you've followed those instructions, it'll be in Effects > Blurs.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

AHA! There it is.

I was looking on BoltBait.com for that page...and wondering why I couldn't find it. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

OK, I FINALLY managed to download the feather feature. The reason I was having so much trouble is because I was using Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer.

But now I'm having another problem...

I looked at the instruction page here:

http://boltbait.googlepages.com/feather

I followed all the directions, but nothing happened to my cut image. See the image below?

stuff007cat.jpg

And before you ask, these are NOT the images I intend to use this effect for, this is just an EXAMPLE. I took two random images and threw them together.

So, you see the cat? That's an image I copied and pasted into the other image. How do I make the edges (the outside) of that image of the cat look blurred with the Feather?

Maybe I just misunderstood the directions, but does anyone think there's a step I may have missed? I tried it several times. Does anyone have more specific directions maybe? For someone who's not so good at computers?

"I'd rather bleed out a long stream from being lonely and feel blessed than drown, laying face down, in a puddle of respect"--The Wallflowers

• 1 month later...
Thanks, everyone.

BTW, I really did rewrite this from scratch.

The old render loop was 335 lines long and the new one is 50 lines. It is so nice and clean, I might actually publish the source... eventually. ;)

Could be interesting to have a look at the code, yes...

And old DLL was about 8.5ko (codelab?) but new is about 20ko (VS) :(

I have rewritten this effect from scratch. The effect now shows up in the Effects > Object submenu.

It now includes a third slider to control the strength of the effect:

FeatherUI.png

Suggestion: please rename the Amount control to "Radius" or "Width" to be more intuitive.

I think words Amount and Strength have too similar meaning and this is confusing for occasional users.