How to Install Plugins ×

Feather Plugin (Now with Source)

BoltBait

This is a GREAT plug-in, but sometimes the blur is a little too much, I don't know if this has been suggested or not but if its possible, maybe you could just anti-alias the hard edges instead of accually bluring them. This would be even better!

siggy-1.png

This is a GREAT plug-in, but sometimes the blur is a little too much, I don't know if this has been suggested or not but if its possible, maybe you could just anti-alias the hard edges instead of accually bluring them. This would be even better!

Try changing the second slider to the "shrink" position.

"Shrink" does not blur the colors at all, only the Alpha channel.

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't there a way of feathering not only the alpha channel, but the normal picture as well?

You see, as I love painting drawings on PDN (http://takemangaka.deviantart.com/) one of the greatest problemas is making everythin look smooth. I've been using a combination of Resizes to do it, but there might be a cleverer way...

Oh, and by the way, BoltBait, I've watched ya on DeviantArt ok?

logoforum3eg4.jpg

I'm BRAZILIAN!

I love Anime Art!

Isn't there a way of feathering not only the alpha channel, but the normal picture as well?

You see, as I love painting drawings on PDN (http://takemangaka.deviantart.com/) one of the greatest problemas is making everythin look smooth. I've been using a combination of Resizes to do it, but there might be a cleverer way...

Try "Surface Blur" from Ed Harvey's plugin pack:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4367

That should smooth even areas while preserving sharp edges.

BoltBait, a tutorial remembered me on your Halo effect and now I wanted to ask you if you can move it to "Blur" (as you list it in this category on your googlepage).

An more interesting option would be to merge Halo with Feather by enhancing Feather with the option to use the primary color instead of transparency (maybe by a checkbox).

I have no knowledge about coding and don't know how much work this would be or if this is possible anyway.

Regardless, thanks in advance.

I like this plug-in. It helps to smooth edges if I have to remove a shadow effect. Especially since I can do it on the entire image simultaneously. If the image is square, that is. If the image is rectangular, then trying to feather anything other than a small selected area causes PDN to crash.

Sorry, I was not sure that that was acceptable. Here it is:

Application version: Paint.NET v3.08 (Final Release build 3.08.2708.22795)

Time of crash: 7/23/2007 9:37:46 PM

Application uptime: 00:04:38.4843750

OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86

.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.832 x86

Processor: 1x "Intel® Celeron® M CPU 410 @ 1.46GHz" @ ~1463MHz

Physical memory: 446 MB

Tablet PC: no

Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: n/a, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Exception details:

PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Coordinates out of range, max={Width=1278, Height=721}

Parameter name: (x,y)

Actual value was {X=1279,Y=1}.

at PaintDotNet.Surface.get_Item(Int32 x, Int32 y)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.UserScript.Render(Surface dst, Surface src, Rectangle rect)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.UserScript.Render(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderImpl()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Join()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Start()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.EffectConfigTokenChangedHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog.OnEffectTokenChanged()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.TwoAmountsConfigDialogBase.amount1UpDown_ValueChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.OnValueChanged(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)

at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.DownButton()

at System.Windows.Forms.UpDownBase.OnUpDown(Object source, UpDownEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.UpDownBase.UpDownButtons.OnUpDown(UpDownEventArgs upevent)

at System.Windows.Forms.UpDownBase.UpDownButtons.BeginButtonPress(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.UpDownBase.UpDownButtons.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.

Please e-mail this file to paint.net@hotmail.com so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v3.08 (Final Release build 3.08.2708.22795)

Time of crash: 7/23/2007 9:46:56 PM

Application uptime: 00:05:04.3281250

OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86

.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.832 x86

Processor: 1x "Intel® Celeron® M CPU 410 @ 1.46GHz" @ ~1463MHz

Physical memory: 446 MB

Tablet PC: no

Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: n/a, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Exception details:

PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Coordinates out of range, max={Width=2374, Height=1342}

Parameter name: (x,y)

Actual value was {X=2375,Y=3}.

at PaintDotNet.Surface.get_Item(Int32 x, Int32 y)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.UserScript.Render(Surface dst, Surface src, Rectangle rect)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.UserScript.Render(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.RendererContext.RenderImpl()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Join()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Abort()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffect(Type effectType)

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.EffectMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.PdnMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i don't know C# and the best one to talk about this is the creator but, (also @Boltbait) did the feather blur got out of the image range and the plugin crashed? or using the grow option it grew out of bondaries?

welll anyway this is agood one to look at (i think anyway :) )

You mean the PDN folder to save into? You don't really need to. Save to your desktop. Expand the zip file. Open Explorer and go to My Computer> Local Disk (C or whatever disk PDN is installed on)> Program Files> Paint.NET> Effects. Drag the .dll file into the effects folder. There you go. I hope this is what your asking.

Well, use explorer either directly or by opening up "my computer" click on the C: Hard Drive, Click on Program Files, Click on the Paint.NET folder, and then you'll see the effects folder, just move the extract dll, in this case Feather.dll into the effects folder. Next time you start up Paint.NET it will be in the effects menu under Blurs.

Other plug-ins are added the same way, except for plugins like the icon/cursor one which is put into formats.