Accidentally deleted installation folder

speedo1998

Helloooo Paint.NET users

I have a problem on my hands. I really really love using Paint.NET but I accidentally deleted the folder I installed it in. (My D drive has wayyyy more space so I decided to install it there but then my retardedness deleted the folder). Obviously without that folder, all the shortcuts and stuff for Paint.NET stopped working.

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Uninstall Paint.NET doesnt work. It comes up with this error: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Repair Paint.NET doesnt work either. It comes up with this error: The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'PaintDotNet_862706138.msi' in the box below.

My Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended are working fine. I repaired them using the method above and no problems posed. Other Microsoft .NET Frameworks dont seem to work on Windows 7. (let me know if I'm right or wrong)

~Other info~

Paint.NET: Paint.NET v3.5.6

I dont know what its talking about with network resource since Im not on a network or anything but is there any way to solve this problem? If there is a new version available, could you please tell me how to solve this problem first?

If it's too late to follow Sarkut's advice and you've emptied the Recycle Bin, you can use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to allow you to install Paint.NET again by removing the last traces of the damaged installation.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Ehh..==" last system restore was last month and I've done a lot of stuff since then so no System Restore.

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility...I tried that on another program before. It removed the traces of the program but also managed to delete the entire folder I keep my other installations in. I set a folder in my D drive and install everything there. I make folders for each new program that lets me install it to another drive other than C drive. Should I still try to use Windows Installer Cleanup Utility?

Oh I think I forgot to mention something important in my first post. Theres still a Paint.NET folder with a Staging folder inside with a PaintDotNet_1948193193 Windows Installer Package file inside that. Does that change anything?

Ehh..==" last system restore was last month and I've done a lot of stuff since then so no System Restore.

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility...I tried that on another program before. It removed the traces of the program but also managed to delete the entire folder I keep my other installations in. I set a folder in my D drive and install everything there. I make folders for each new program that lets me install it to another drive other than C drive. Should I still try to use Windows Installer Cleanup Utility?

Oh I think I forgot to mention something important in my first post. Theres still a Paint.NET folder with a Staging folder inside with a PaintDotNet_1948193193 Windows Installer Package file inside that. Does that change anything? Probaly not.

Well if someone could upload all the other files your could re-install the folders and get administration permission. I cant upload them im too busy.

~SurfsSub

The Post above ^ Was by Nerfsub.

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility...I tried that on another program before. .... Should I still try to use Windows Installer Cleanup Utility?

Yes. That's why it was recommended. Follow the link Pyrochild gave you and read the entire thread before you start.

I used the Cleanup Utility, removed previous Paint.NET, downloaded new version from Paint.NET site, installed it and now I have a working Paint.NET again! Thanks everyone for such quick responses! So happy now ^^ Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Helloooo Paint.NET users

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Repair Paint.NET doesnt work either. It comes up with this error: The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'PaintDotNet_862706138.msi' in the box below.

How to update Paint.NET when asked for a missing MSI in the Staging folder:

1. Find out the version that is installed. - Mine is version 3.5.5
  2. Go to File Hippo and download your current version.
  3. You need to unpack the MSI from the downloaded EXE... run from a cmd.exe window (or Start Run):
    Paint.NET.3.5.5.Install.exe /createMsi CHECKFORBETAS=0 DESKTOPSHORTCUT=0
  4. Open the folder created on your desktop, PaintDotNetMsi, and rename the filePaintDotNet.x86.msi to PaintDotNet_753582080.msi or whatever filename Windows Installer is asking for.
  5. Copy the MSI to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Staging
  6. Re-run the Paint.NET update - or uninstaller.

Whilst this issue is occuring it might be a good idea to supply the MSIs for previous x86 installations so that people with the problem can download them, rename them and add them to the Staging folder... (cutting out some of these above steps)

Oliver

• 9 months later...

The way I fixed this is got another computer, installed paint.net to the other computer, I then went to program files on the computer i just installed and select all files and put them on a USB, I then put the USB into the computer I am trying to fix and deleted all the files in there atm. I put all the new files in that folder uninstalled it, Then I reinstalled it to the newest version!