How can I put a drop shadow around a white rectangle on a pale yellow ground without a plugin?

I apologise in advance if this question has been answered, but I have spent literally hours here and elsewhere trying to figure out how to do the following.

I want to have a white rectangle, without a black or other border, sitting on a pale yellow ground. But so the rectangle does not look pasted onto the ground, I want a drop shadow around two of the sides. I do not want to use a plugin for this.

Thanks in anticipation.

Fill your background layer with pale yellow.

Make a Rectangle selection. :RectangleSelectTool:

Make a new layer.

Fill the selection with black.

Make a new layer.

Fill the selection with white.

In the Layers window, click on the black rectangle layer.

Press Esc to deselect.

Apply Gaussian blur.

Use the Move Selected Pixels tool :MoveTool: to move the shadow so that it shows on 2 sides only.

Press F4, and adjust Opacity, if needed.

Edited by Sarkut

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to just use a plugin and be done? It just seems to be a much better and easier solution to me...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Fill your background layer with pale yellow.

Make a Rectangle selection. :RectangleSelectTool:

Make a new layer.

Fill the selection with black.

Make a new layer.

Fill the selection with white.

In the Layers window, click on the black rectangle layer.

Press Esc to deselect.

Apply Gaussian blur.

Use the Move Selected Pixels tool :MoveTool: to move the shadow so that it shows on 2 sides only.

Press F4, and adjust Opacity, if needed.

Thank you so much for your reply, Sarkut - and for not posting a load of links!

It worked easily and excellently. In the fourth step, I filled the selection with grey (gray) as this suited my needs better.

Once again, thank you.

Geist

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to just use a plugin and be done? It just seems to be a much better and easier solution to me...

Hello Noob.

I don't want to use a plugin for two reasons.

First, I had a couple of plugins and every time I opened Paint.net, it told me there were updates to the plugins (not to the program Paint.net) and asked me whether I wanted to download them. But whether I answered 'yes' or 'no', my computer would then freeze for maybe a minute. No doubt this is a problem with my particular set-up, but I became so fed up with it that I uninstalled the plugins - and don't now regret doing so.

The second reason is that I am new to Paint.net and in addition a lot of the things I am trying to do I have not previously done with any program. That being so, I want to go slowly and understand the basic principles of this kind of work. When or if I become as proficient as posters offering solutions here I will no doubt be installing and using plugins left, right and centre (center)!

Geist

Edited by Geist

solution to first problem: find the plugins on the forum and re-download them, then replace the old files with the new manually.

solution to second problem: you're already on the right track. keep it up ^^

noob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

PDNNoob, there are times when the drop shadow is not precise enough either.

In this tute I used a different method because I have greater control over the placement etc.

I do understand where you are coming from, just the same.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012