Coloring a Image in 2 Parts

I'm sure there is a much neater solution, but this is how I'd find the halfway point...,

Zoom in a bit, then place the pointer on the right edge of the shield. Note the position of the x coordinate in the status bar (http://www.getpaint..../StatusBar.html).

Now put the cursor on the left side of the shape. Again note the x coordinate.

The middle of the image should be along the line xLeft + ( (xRight - xLeft) / 2 ).

Use the rectangle select tool pdn35icons.RectangleSelectToolIcon.png to select a rectangle including one half (up to the dividing line you worked out).

Use the recolor tool pdn35icons.RecoloringToolIcon.png ( http://www.getpaint....ecolorTool.html ) to change that half of the shape.

Invert the selection with CTRL + I and recolor the other half.

Perhaps pictures will help you with the info you were given.

As shown below, increase the magnification of the canvas. Move the scroll bars so you are looking at the top left side of the canvas. Place the pencil tool on the outermost solid pixel of the shield, and look at the coordinates in the lower right hand corner below the Layers box. The first number is the X coordinate. X is the number you want to use for determining width. Move the scroll bar so the upper right of the canvas is visible and place your pencil tool on the outermost solid pixel of the shield.

Shield2.jpg

In the next photo I show the coordinates for my particular canvas; your coordinates may be different! To get the distance across half of the shield follow the math steps on the right side of the picture below. Using the square Selection tool start on the center pixel number and pull to the left so half of the shield is included from top to bottom. Choose the Paint Bucket fill tool and the color you want for that side, then color it. The click the Deselect button. Change to the color you want on the other side of the shield and fill it.

Shield3.jpg

Just as a note, using paint bucket is fast, but if you notice, it leaves some black pixels along the red edge, so I would recommend using the recolor tool. Also, it appears you have a gradient on the shield there...did you want to keep that?

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Just as a note, using paint bucket is fast, but if you notice, it leaves some black pixels along the red edge, so I would recommend using the recolor tool. Also, it appears you have a gradient on the shield there...did you want to keep that?

I made these picture examples because the person who originally asked the question about recoloring didn't understand the written directions given in the first answer. However, by the time I was finishing it was very late, and I used Paint Bucket instead of Recolor. My mistake.