Having trouble installing Paint.NET 3.5.7!

mpeterson

Hey, this is my first time posting here, so I hope I'm doing this right. I'm having trouble installing the newest version of Paint.NET. when I go to install it, it keeps saying that "This application requires Windows.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or greater.", even though I have the newer version, 4.0, installed. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Paint.NET should be able to run on .NET 4, but you can install 3.5 side-by-side, which is a better option, as most of Paint.NET's testing is done on 3.5.

Try to install .NET 3.5 SP1 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

To be precise, .NET 4 will work if it's the only version of .NET installed.

If you have any other .NET version 2.0 through 3.5 installed, then 3.5 will be used and required. Example: You have .NET 4 and .NET 2 installed. In this case, Paint.NET won't work. You must install 3.5 SP1.

(It works this way not because I'm a sadist, but that's just the way the .NET version requirements manifest works. .NET framework 2.0 through 3.5 all use the same .NET 2.0 runtime, which is what you are permitted to version against in the manifest.)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Should I just download every other framework leading up to 3.5, and hope it works then? I'm still getting the same error when I try to install 3.5.

Should I just download every other framework leading up to 3.5, and hope it works then?

No.

Have you tried repairing the .NET framework?

xZYt6wl.png

Probably have to download the update and reinstall, upon reinstall of update should be able to get repair option. modify, or install.

I think sometimes it has version of Framework reading config issue....Like given when installing older versions, i needed to install and older framework. And i didnt need too. Was weird. Dont think have the latest. Which might be 4.0 or so, idk. 2 i think remembering correctly is the last ive left off on....maybe 3-3.5.

Sometimes i think apps or programs that require the need of whatever updates grab them for themselves, if that makes any sense.

Cause you usually have to download additional updates but its for newer programs.

I tried downloading it again, and reinstalling it, but I still get the same error message. I'm starting to think I'll never be able to reinstall Paint.NET.

What version of Windows are you using?

Honestly, though I'd love to figure this out and get you back on track with Paint.NET, we're getting out of our area of expertise here, and you might be better off taking the issue to Microsoft's support resources.

xZYt6wl.png

I tried running the installer again, and now it works fine. The only problem is that during setup, it'll get to like 10%, then stop and close.

I tried installing the new version of Paint.NET, 3.5.8, but I still get the same problem. The setup will get to 10%, then stop and close the window.

Click Start, then Run, then type %temp%. An Explorer window will pop up with your temp directory. Check to see if there are any files starting with Pdn and ending with .log. If there are, post them here.

xZYt6wl.png

The idea is to clean up any traces left behind of incomplete

previous installation attempts that may be interfering with things.

Might apply to Paint.NET or faulty NET framework installation.

You don't get it. I'm actually trying to INSTALL it. How can I use a program on something that's NOT installed?

You can be more polite than that.

xZYt6wl.png

@mpeterson: Pyrochild knows what he is talking about - & Sarkut explained it well. These two people are trying to help you.