Sign in to follow this  
Hellfire010

Scan from sign-in screen?

After having experienced a major virus (and having to reformat my computer, therefore losing everything on it) I got thinking about new ways to protect my computer. I was curious as to whether it would be possible to scan from the Login Screen. This would be particularly useful in that some viruses, similarly to the one I had, start their mischief the second you sign in and load the desktop. Basically, it would run a program and scan the drives, memory, etc. from the Login Screen instead of the Desktop, therefore not loading anything else. I figured it would look something like [THIS].

Would this be possible?

It is always best to scan your system after booting into "safe mode".

When your system is booting, press the F8 key, and follow the onscreen prompts...

Back in the olden days, you used to be able to scan your system from a bootable CD/Floppy. In the modern days of NTFS, I don't know if that's still possible.

It's most certainly still possible. My copy of Linux has full read access to my Windows partition (and write too if I got off my lazy rear and set it up correctly). Windows PE (or copy-OSs like BartPE) would be even better...ask an IT person you know to try it out. Norton or one of the other big virus companies might have a bootable scan product.