can Paintnet create this raytraced image?

Are there any tools in Paintnet that I can use to make one of these? Of course I'd need to replace the LSU logo's and insert the VT logo.

lsuglasscopy1.jpg?t=1297994619

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Changed posted image to clickable link (Rule #29)

That image looks like it was made with a ray-tracer program. Yes, paint.net can do it, but it would take quite a bit of time to figure it out and make it perfect.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I agree. Looks like a raytracer. PDN currently does not have a raytracer interface (although I've been playing...).

A good place to start is with the text. This tut should give you a great starting point:

Aside: Rule #6 Thread titles must be descriptive. Yours is one of the titles specifically mentioned as what NOT to post! I'll edit is a bit you you so long as you promise to post only descriptive thread titles from now on :)

I agree. Looks like a raytracer. PDN currently does not have a raytracer interface (although I've been playing...).

OMYGOSH! EER IS MAKING A RAYTRACER PLUGIN!!! :aagh:

Depending on how close to that image you want the final result to be, I wouldn't try to oversimplify things. Here's how I would start:

1. Look at every detail on the image. Make a list of all the little details, down to the beveled edges on the wood floor.

2. Decide what details you want/don't want and what you want to add. You likely won't want to be sitting there for hours trying to make your picture perfect, so see how much you can do away with without taking too much away from the image

3. Figure out how you will accomplish each detail. What plugins do you need? What order does it all have to be done in? etc.

After you have finished your planning, you should have a general idea of how you get things done. How well you do depends on your knowledge of how to use your resources and how well you payed attention in step 1...and how long your patience lasts ;)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanks everybody.

I went back to the site where I found this pic and was told the guy used a 3D graphics application called 3ds Max to make that one.

I was just wanting to put the VT logo in place of the LSU one. I specifically ask on that site (it's a college football message board) if Paintnet or Gimp was used, and was told neither. That's when I was told it was done with the 3ds Max thingy.

boltbait.wink.pngOk,I don't do tutorials but will try to do this one.Start withhttp://forums.getpai...ard-wood-floor/

Then,http://www.pdnfanati...s-orb-t603.html.

Then.http://pdnfans.probo...splay&thread=29.

You will have to mess with last bit,I can't tell you it all,fboltbait.cool.png

I could probably replicate this image in a couple hours using these tute.sboltbait.sad.png

It's not easy though.

Edited by ipswichmanc

me.png             

Awesome, another Hokies fan here!

It is very possible to do that in PDN. Many layers to do that, but it's doable.

Edit: There's an inexpensive way to build an image similar to this, and that's with SketchUp and Kerkythea Rendering System. Both are free.

Edit 2: To prove my point, take a look:

http://fc03.devianta...eii-d35v8eh.png

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

On 19/02/2011 at 6:47 AM, pdnnoob said:

OMYGOSH! EER IS MAKING A RAYTRACER PLUGIN!!! :aagh:

SSSSSssssshhhhhhh! Don't shout! It's a secret...,

It's not the first time the idea has been played with. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that if you want a raytraced image you should use a raytracer :(

This is the scene I've been using as a demo to build the raytracer.

Ray_Tracer_Demo.png

Note that this is NOT a plugin at this stage, just simple raytracer that might one day grow into something else.

Ok, I know I'm slow...I started at 8:30am off and on I finished at 7:15pm. hehehehe

But here's what I came up with. I just wanted it done before the NCAA tourney started.

As you all can see I have yet to master ANY of the tools...but hey, I'm trying. Not too bad for an old guy I think!!

hokiesglass.jpg?t=1298162542

@vtdad: please read Rule #29. Thanks.

Ok, I know I'm slow...I started at 8:30am off and on I finished at 7:15pm. hehehehe

But here's what I came up with. I just wanted it done before the NCAA tourney started.

As you all can see I have yet to master ANY of the tools...but hey, I'm trying. Not too bad for an old guy I think!!

http://i285.photobuc...pg?t=1298162542

Not bad mate,you just gotta play with text a bit.

Treat every part as separate image then save.Paste it all together at the end.

Just remembered this tute,use the glass part and play with blend modes.Duplicate the image and use "Trail".boltbait.wink.pngmhttp://forums.getpai...t-with-filling/.

Edited by ipswichmanc

me.png