Add a button to Paint.NET GUI

David Rutten

Greetings oh knowledgeable ones,

I'm new to Paint.NET, long time PSP user but decided to try Open Source. One of the most common operations I perform in pixel editors is to add a drop-shadow to icon images. I found the Drop Shadow plugin and am happy with the results it produces, but it reverts to default settings every time I start it. There doesn't appear to be a preset editor for it. I also found the ScriptLab plugin and I have successfully made a script with the proper settings. However running this script involves far too many steps on my part.

Is there a way I can add a button to the main Paint.NET gui which runs the drop-shadow filter with the appropriate settings? Ideally it would even subsequently save the png file using 32-bit pixel depth and close the image.

Much obliged,

David

Edited by David Rutten

After you use it once in one session, the settings will remain the same until you either use it again with different settings or close pdn. From what I'm seeing, the only way to change the default settings is rewriting the plugin with the desired default settings built in. I don't believe you can add buttons to pdn

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

After you use it once in one session, the settings will remain the same until you either use it again with different settings or close pdn. From what I'm seeing, the only way to change the default settings is rewriting the plugin with the desired default settings built in.

Maybe it would be a good idea to store last used settings in the registry or something? In Photoshop, each plugin remembers its settings even after restarting the program.

Personally, I don't like how Photoshop remembers changed settings when a new session is starts...that always seems to mess me up =/ ........Just give me default and let me figure it out...lol

As pdnnoob said, you may be able to write the plugin with your preferred defaults and give it a different name (Drop Shadow1, Drop Shadow2, etc) and just have multiple plugs of basically the same use...It'd get messy, but it would solve your problem

brokecarsig.jpg

Maybe it would be a good idea to store last used settings in the registry or something? In Photoshop, each plugin remembers its settings even after restarting the program.

How would I accomplish that? I'd need to write the plugin first.

You cannot add buttons to the UI.

Well, so much for Paint.NET. Thanks for the answer.

--

David

After you use it once in one session, the settings will remain the same until you either use it again with different settings or close pdn. From what I'm seeing, the only way to change the default settings is rewriting the plugin with the desired default settings built in. I don't believe you can add buttons to pdn

I might as well write the functionality directly into my own application then and cut out the middle man. Thanks for answering.

Personally, I don't like how Photoshop remembers changed settings when a new session is starts...that always seems to mess me up =/ ........Just give me default and let me figure it out...lol

As pdnnoob said, you may be able to write the plugin with your preferred defaults and give it a different name (Drop Shadow1, Drop Shadow2, etc) and just have multiple plugs of basically the same use...It'd get messy, but it would solve your problem

Personally I really like having to only press one button when doing something mindless over and over again. Didn't it occur to anybody that remembering user settings is a pretty vital property of an application? If I sound frustrated it' merely because I am. Rarely have I run into an app where there is no solution to the first problem I run into short of programming it myself.

The setting do persist throughout the session (CTRL + F runs the plugin again with the settings you chose). The defaults are loaded with the plugin on startup. These defaults are set by the third party developer when they create the plugin.

Drop shadow is the brainchild of @KrisVDM, and is not a built-in feature of Paint.NET. You should direct you inquiry to him, rather than having a go at the developer of Paint.NET.

Oh, and just so you know, Paint.NET is NOT open source.

The setting do persist throughout the session (CTRL + F runs the plugin again with the settings you chose). The defaults are loaded with the plugin on startup. These defaults are set by the third party developer when they create the plugin.

Drop shadow is the brainchild of @KrisVDM, and is not a built-in feature of Paint.NET. You should direct you inquiry to him, rather than having a go at the developer of Paint.NET.

I know, I specifically had to download his plugin. What I meant was that it is the responsibility of the Paint.NET developers to create a system that makes it easy for plug-in developers to create a sticky settings/preset system. Of course you cannot enforce this in 3rd party developers, but you can encourage to a high degree. Kris clearly pours a lot of thought and love into his plug-ins, and I don't feel it is his responsibility to provide such a mechanism. It should be ubiquitous and omni-present throughout the entire application. Being able to automate a process is paramount in my opinion. The ScriptLab plugin gets halfway there, but this is something which probably needs to be core, especially since the UI is locked.

Oh, and just so you know, Paint.NET is NOT open source.

Oh, sorry. I distinctly seem to remember downloading source a while back and compiling it. Did it used to be Open Source or is my memory shot?

the Paint.NET developers

There is only one Paint.NET developer.

Oh, sorry. I distinctly seem to remember downloading source a while back and compiling it. Did it used to be Open Source or is my memory shot?

It used to be.

KaHuc.png

Rick is planning to improve the extensibility in PDN 4. You can read about it here: http://www.getpaint.net/roadmap.html

Which in turn points you to the blog: http://blog.getpaint.net/