Feature Req: Windows 7 Taskbar Features Integration

Windows 7 has a feature whereby you can right-click items in the taskbar or point to them in the Start menu and you get a list of recent documents and such. Programs can control what appears in their respective lists. For example, well-known browsers add a "Tasks" section to it with shortcuts to open a new tab or a new window, or start private browsing.

I would like Paint.NET to take advantage of this feature and have a "Tasks" section in its own list. As of now, I only want one task to be added in this section: Paste in to New Image. Usually I copy images from a web page or a document and open Paint.NET to paste and edit them. I find that I have to open Paint.NET then click Edit > Paste in to New Image (or the shortcut). But why spend time opening a blank image and navigate menus or press keys? With the command already integrated into the Windows 7 taskbar, I can do it more quickly and directly from the taskbar or the Start menu, skipping the blank image.

As we all know, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'm attaching a quick mash-up I made using Paint.NET B) to demonstrate this feature:

post-49359-129748478703_thumb.png

You can also add "Paste in to New Layer" but I'm not sure how useful it will be. Perhaps these tasks can enable an user to quickly paste copied images in layers or new images without switching focus to Paint.NET (when it is already running) and they would find it useful when they have to paste more than one image in one go. Also, Paint.NET (when not running) could start with a blank image when the clipboard does not contain a valid image.

To other forum users: If you like this suggestion, give it your comments. You can also reply and state what other tasks you would like seen in the Windows 7 taskbar. I'm not sure if this had been suggested already, sorry if it's a repeat.

~ADTC

pdnsignature.png

CAUTION: This software is super-heated. Keep your hands off the screen while using it.

The problem with any Paste command in the jump list is that you can't disable it if the clipboard is empty ...

Which is why I said:

Also, Paint.NET (when not running) could start with a blank image when the clipboard does not contain a valid image.

Perhaps on starting with a blank image, Paint.NET can also show a pop-up that the clipboard does not have a valid image. :)

Edited by agent007bond

~ADTC

pdnsignature.png

CAUTION: This software is super-heated. Keep your hands off the screen while using it.

I think that would be a pretty weird user experience.

I think being able to pin Paint.NET and have Paste into New Image accessible with WinKey+# followed by Ctrl+Alt+V is sufficient.

If you don't know about WinKey+#, it lets you quick launch the Nth item in your pinned app list by pressing WinKey+1 or WinKey+2, etc. For example, if Firefox is the first item in your pinned app list, then WinKey+1 will launch it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg