How Can I Get a Transparent Background in a Selection?

I just downloaded paint.net, it looks like it will be a big upgrade from PC Paint, which I currently use. There's one important feature in PC Paint that I can't seem to locate, though: declaring the background of a selected area to be transparent. In sequence, it looks like this:

post-80923-129630443465_thumb.jpg

I use this function quite a bit, and I figure if it's in PC Paint, that it would certainly be in paint.net - I just can't find the spot. Can somebody help me out? Thanks!

Get your selection, paste into new layer. Now use magic wand pdn35icons.MagicWandToolIcon.png(you may wand to fiddle with the tolerence abit) and click in the white of your selection. Then use the Move tool pdn35icons.MoveToolIcon.png to put it in the desired place.

This is a kinda newbie way to do it, cuz i tried to make it simple. Once u get the hang of magicing and layers ull be ok. Im sure someone could give a more in-depth way on how to du it if u still dont get it.

eOdUjVm.jpg

two things to note:

1) in PDN a section that is transparent thru all layers will appear as a checkerboard pattern

2) when you save, make sure your file format supports transparency- .pdn will but only Paint.net will use that , .png is a good option

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

• 1 year later...

I just downloaded paint.net, it looks like it will be a big upgrade from PC Paint, which I currently use. There's one important feature in PC Paint that I can't seem to locate, though: declaring the background of a selected area to be transparent. In sequence, it looks like this:

post-80923-129630443465_thumb.jpg

I use this function quite a bit, and I figure if it's in PC Paint, that it would certainly be in paint.net - I just can't find the spot. Can somebody help me out? Thanks!

Hi

easy said then done.

1. select the area you want to move/copy etc..

2. use plugin called "color to alpha" it would make all background color in the selection transparent

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=7767

you can play with the settings to get even more options.

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)