temperature gradient

Hello,

as a weather enthousiast i'm currently learing the program Digital Atmosphere ( http://http://www.weathergraphics.com/ )

you can create weathermaps like these http://www.meteostat.nl/?page_id=821

the maps are created by Digital Atmosphere (DA) and the colors used in the maps are based on scripting you can do from inside DA

the one and only option missing currently in DA is to create a legend (say the temperature range in colors)

i resolved this to manually ad a layer to the picture with the map-part of the layer transparent and the legend part drawn manually

i use paint.net for this job and it works ok

but since paint.net has a lot of scripting-options as plugins would this be possible:

1) read the RGB valuess used inside a picture

2) draw an legend based on the above values and add the legend below the picture.

regards,

Marcel

I'm sure it is possible, but unlikely to be created due to the niche that it fills. Creating a legend is a fairly specialized requirement!

This plugin might be of interest, it counts the colors in an image: Color Count.

That's 1. taken care of (kind of - it might be very slow if there are many colors). You might have to undertake 2. manually yourself.

BTW: What is the format of the images you're processing?

I'm sure it is possible, but unlikely to be created due to the niche that it fills. Creating a legend is a fairly specialized requirement!

This plugin might be of interest, it counts the colors in an image: Color Count.

That's 1. taken care of (kind of - it might be very slow if there are many colors). You might have to undertake 2. manually yourself.

BTW: What is the format of the images you're processing?

thank you for you reply.

i think it can be done perhaps easier (i thought of this last night)

inside the weatherscript i already define te RGB values used for the weathersituation (temperature, rain, windspeed etc...)

so all i need :-)

would be a way to generate a legend based on already know possible RBG-values

example of the lines inside the script of the weatherprogram: http://www.usawx.com/digitatmosexamples.htm

the format (color depth, size, png or jpg) can be set as you wish

would that make some difference ?

Edited by MarKel

How many entries would there be in your legend?

If there are few, you might be able to enter them manually, on a new layer....,

1. Click the MORE button in the color window, you'll see boxes where you can type in RGB values. This sets the primary color to that RGB value (assuming you have Primary selected). If you have the image open in PDN you can activate the map layer and use the color picker tool pdn35icons.ColorPickerToolIcon.png to achieve the same thing.

2. Select the rectangle drawing tool pdn35icons.RectangleToolIcon.png and set the option in the toolbar to 'solid fill'.

3. Drag your rectangle tool to create a colored box (hold the shift key down while dragging to form a square).

4. Repeat for all RGB entries in the legend.

5. Use the Selection tool pdn35icons.RectangleSelectToolIcon.png and Move tool pdn35icons.MoveToolIcon.png to select the boxes and move them to line up nicely under one another

4. Swap to the text tool pdn35icons.TextToolIcon.png and type the legend entries beside the colored boxes.

If you want complete automation you might have to download Codelab and learn some programming boltbait.smile.png