Black and white editing

Hi guys, im new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Ive been doing a lot of urban exploration lately and i have a lot of cool pictures of abandoned buildings n stuff. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to edit my black and white photo's to look like this.....

http://www.flickr.co...57604984484897/

I love the contrast and that kind of charcoaly film. Basically im trying to give my photo's a kind of creepy feel to them!! Any help would be much appreciated!

Laura boltbait.big_smile.png

hey there and welcome

trying to acheive one specific effect you found on a picture can be very difficult, however, i think, rather than that EXACT effect, what you want is to try to give your pictures a greater "depth" yes?

and therefore may be open to different types of effects, and that means you just want a jumping off point from where you can start from and find your own way- I hope so, its realy fun to experiment, especially with your own photos. anyway i worked up three quick examples that might help you get started

first is the orriginal jpg image i pulled off of google

th_0wall123.png

next up- i duplicated the image twice, and on the top layer i used the move selected pixel tool to move the entire image one pixel to the right(by hiting the right arrow key once) then set that layer to overlay, next i moved the middle layer one pixel to the left and set to overlay then merged middle layer down then merged again-

th_0wall12.png

then i started over- duplicated the image, on the top layer i added grain, from the noise effect, then set that layer to overlay and played with the opacity of the layer, merged down and-

th_0wall1.png

and last, starting over once again, i duplicated the layer, chyanged to a sepia with sepia2, then used displacement distortion with a setting of 1 on x and -1 on y, set to overlay and again played with the opacity before merging

th_0wall.jpg

same picture with three different "feels", i hope this helps get you started

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

Thank you so much guys! Im gonna try both these idea's when i get home tonight! Mountnman, your right, a jumping off point would be a much better way to start, if i have the basic idea of how to so something then i can fiddle around with it a bit. Ill post my results later!! boltbait.big_smile.png

Thanks again!!