Layer noob

Sorry.. love the product, but trying to do something simple.

1. After I paste an image in I attempt to type text in open spaces outside of image, but get nothing. notice I can only type text into the image I just pasted in. Umm.. why? how?

2. If I clip and move something in my canvas, i get that gray and white pattern in the space I just left. It seems like the transparent feature in other drawing tools. Id rather not of course. What am I doing wrong and how can I get around that so all my background is white? thougth it might just be a design only feature, but resulting image has it too.

Many thanks in advance.. sure it's something noob.

Edited by cyberpine

Make a new layer on top of the layer with the image & write your text on that layer. Learn to work with layers instead of trying to do everything on the image. This way if you need to change something you can. Always save it as a .pdn & as a .png (best quality, no loss). If you need to go back & change something you have the .pdn file then.

Sounds to me like you are trying to put the text outside of the canvas. The checkerboard is transparency, yes. The image you have is taking up all of the canvas & what you see around it is the "deskspace" not the background & there in no need to make it white.

I hope I've understood the question/problem & that this helps.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

1. After I paste an image in I attempt to type text in open spaces outside of image, but get nothing. notice I can only type text into the image I just pasted in.

The pasted image will be selected. No changes can be made outside of the selection.

Deselect by pressing Esc or Ctrl + D before adding the text.

Edited by Sarkut