how to capture text or anything from an image

I had a program to do this years ago.. i thought it was paint.net but i could be wrong.

Lets say I have an image with graphics and text (the text is just part of the image made with a graphics program - not regular text)

I want to use a tool that traces the letters or other images to capture them. This was like a magic wand or something i think.. does paint.net do this?

Thanks.. I saw this tool but didn't know how to make it work till you gave the link.

Is there any other tips I can use to get a more clean copy selection? The wand wants to capture some of the background outside of the area I want to capture? In this case the subject for capture are letters and it doesn't select as well as I'd like.

Here is the original image http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8480/broccolitvblacktest.jpg

Here is the text I captured:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5924/broiconew.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by pyrochild

you can either use trial and error with the magic wand, or get close enough and use the eraser tool to clean up. If you zoom in, you should be able to clean it all up quite well. Once that is done, use feather or AA's Asistant to remove the pixelized edges.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo