IRC server?

qwertyuu

To have a chat room (not only a channel in a server, have our own server) would be a big plus to have help on-the-go.

That is, for sure, something to think for in future development.

I have an idea that is certainly a great idea. If an IRC server is done someday, adding it to Paint.net would be nice... Just saying.

borderg.png

Several thoughts:

• I don't think adding it to Paint.NET would be a good idea. If it was promoted in the interface as a way to get help it would just encourage unresearched questions. It would also add bloat.
  • The three web-based chatrooms that have been set up are pretty much dead. I don't see why an IRC/XMPP one wouldn't suffer the same fate unless it was only open at specific times early on). Based on what happened with the previous chatrooms I also doubt it will be officially promoted (this is just speculation, of course).
  • The chat would also need moderators able to cover the times of day the chat is online.
  • Using chat to ask questions would make it harder (or impossible) to find the answers at a later date. Also, if someone can't be bothered to post a topic for their question, they probably haven't done that much research.

KaHuc.png

Several thoughts:

• I don't think adding it to Paint.NET would be a good idea. If it was promoted in the interface as a way to get help it would just encourage unresearched questions. It would also add bloat.
  • The three web-based chatrooms that have been set up are pretty much dead. I don't see why an IRC/XMPP one wouldn't suffer the same fate unless it was only open at specific times early on). Based on what happened with the previous chatrooms I also doubt it will be officially promoted (this is just speculation, of course).
  • The chat would also need moderators able to cover the times of day the chat is online.
  • Using chat to ask questions would make it harder (or impossible) to find the answers at a later date. Also, if someone can't be bothered to post a topic for their question, they probably haven't done that much research.
Answer to your thoughts:
An IRC client can easily be inserted in the Forum itself, preventing the death of this one.
Moderation is mainly done by bots, moderators don't have to be always online.

Edited by qwertyuu

borderg.png

• 4 weeks later...

It's definitely an interesting proposal, especially if it was implemented into the forum directly (which is not hard). Simon Brown does have a good point, though... people would probably try to resort to the IRC to get questions answered rather than trying to search, further corrupted our generation! err, I mean... uh... But also, it would probably decrease forum posting, and therefore actually have an adverse effect on the forum (hypothetically, anyway).

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

• 1 month later...