Pictures Side-By-Side / "Before and After" Images

Sarkut

Is this still the best way to view images side-by-side?

I'm recreating pixel art based on imperfect screen shots from YouTube. Having to resize the canvas and add/remove layers for each new image (30-40 per day) is so cumbersome. I also need to look at my new copy much more zoomed in than the reference piece, so pasting it into the canvas isn't a great solution. Further, I need to sample colours from the original and use them in my new copy, but you can't use the dropper through layers, so I have to switch layers every time I sample from the original. Is there really no way to simply view multiple canvases side-by-side?

Paint Shop Pro does it with one click ever, rather than all this twiddling. PSP is rubbish though, so I'm giving PDN a spin, and hoping a similar feature has been added.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by gotube

On 9/17/2023 at 12:41 AM, gotube said:

Further, I need to sample colours from the original and use them in my new copy, but you can't use the dropper through layers, so I have to switch layers every time I sample from the original

From the Documentation at https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ColorPicker.html

The Color Picker Tool has two sampling modes, Image and Layer .  These dictate which pixels will be sampled when picking a color.

Tip: The keyboard shortcut for the Image mode is to hold down the Ctrl key when clicking.

Does Image mode make your task easier?

On 9/17/2023 at 12:41 AM, gotube said:

I also need to look at my new copy much more zoomed in than the reference piece, so pasting it into the canvas isn't a great solution.

Pasting into the canvas isn't a great solution for what?  Could you describe your workflow please?

Does pressing Ctrl+B (i.e. View | Zoom to Window) help? Ctrl+B will toggle between your zoomed in view and a full image view.

Edited by Tactilis
Typo fixed

On 9/17/2023 at 3:18 AM, Tactilis said:

From the Documentarian at https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ColorPicker.html

Does Image mode make your task easier?

Thanks! That solves that particular problem entirely.

On 9/17/2023 at 3:18 AM, Tactilis said:

Pasting into the canvas isn't a great solution for what?  Could you describe your workflow please

By "pasting into the canvas", I meant the instructions in this tutorial: expand the canvas, create a new layer, and paste the source image into the new layer, onto the new, empty part of the canvas.

Thanks too for the Ctrl-B shortcut. It's handy to know about, but I work way zoomed into both layers, one 3x more than the other, like I might be zoomed in 30x on the original, and 90x on my new version. Can I easily pan and zoom the layers independently without one covering the other?

Edited by gotube

3 hours ago, gotube said:

I meant the instructions in this tutorial: expand the canvas, create a new layer, and paste the source image into the new layer, onto the new, empty part of the canvas.

Tried Ctrl + Shift + V (paste into new layer)? The option to Expand Canvas is the default, so you can hit enter to resize the canvas to the large dimension clipboard image.

• Upvote 1