Gradient Tool preview

Rick Brewster

I aggree with others that maybe the icons arn't all that obvious? Maybe something that indicates what you would use the feature for in some way?

I made a brief attempt at some mock ups using the new gradient tool. ;)

Helped me find another bug anyway that I just posted!

Colouring mode:

grad.png

Transparency mode:

alpha.png

Nidonocu C:\>

Hi all. First post. Glad to be here. I talked to Rick about the new gradient tool a bit last night but was curious to get some other opinions.

While modifying your gradient the status bar is great! It gives you the taxicab distance between the two nubs (the offset), the point-to-point distance between the two nubs, and the angle between the two nubs. Here are my ideas.

For pixel-precision gradients I'd like to see at least one of two things in a future release. The ability to directly modify the values in the status bar, or some kind of snapping. For example, while modifying a linear gradient, you could hold the shift key and your nub would snap to 0 degrees, 45, 90, 135, etc. I'd say 90% of the gradients I do are horizontal or vertical anyway.

Thoughts? Rick, feasibility?

or some kind of snapping. For example, while modifying a linear gradient, you could hold the shift key and your nub would snap to 0 degrees, 45, 90, 135, etc. I'd say 90% of the gradients I do are horizontal or vertical anyway.

Thoughts? Rick, feasibility?

It already does this.

So it does. :( Not sure how I missed that. Any thoughts about modifying the values in the status bar directly?

sorriso?

that's portuguese for "smile"!

Are you portuguese?

sig6rj3.png

So it does. :( Not sure how I missed that. Any thoughts about modifying the values in the status bar directly?

sorriso?

that's portuguese for "smile"!

Are you portuguese?

No, but I did choose it as my name in high school Spanish class. (There's a very good reason why I didn't choose the Spanish word for "smile") :)

I have a quick idea hear, and I think it would be REALY REALY usefull! you know how there are diffrent types of gradients, well... how about a sphereical(sp?) gradient...

This type would make a gradient with the shading, of a sphere, like you would draw.

Sorry for horrid explination...

comments?

Picc84, that's actually quite easy.

Layer - Description

1 - Make an all black layer.

2 - Make a radial fade from yellow to black.

3 - Make a radial fade from white to white/transparent on top of the first fade.

Merge Down layer 3 to layer 2.

Use the true Circle Selection tool to select your sphere.

Invert selection and press Delete.

Merge Down the circle layer to the black background layer.

Maybe do a Gaussian Blur (2) when you are totally finished?

Just wanted to say that I really didn't see a reason to upgrade to 3.0 (laziness on my part I guess).....but somehow I stumbled upon that gradient video on YouTube and I just had to download 3.0.

So, good advertising :D

Laziness? Oh come on :) Built-in auto updater = caters to laziness!

Honestly I don't think I remember it ever asking me to update to 3.0. It did back when I went from 2.70 to 2.72 or whatever (in fact I usually updated after I got tired of seeing that thing pop up everytime).

So as far as the auto-updater being helpfull, it is...but I don't think it will try to update to 3.0.

Okay, I finally watched the video.

I've been holding back on upgrading but the new gradient just looks too cool, along with a few of the other features I've read about.

You need to to check for prerelease versions (Check the updater options)
Yeah, I know.

I did it at work (after backing up my 2.72). I'm considering doing it at home.

I like some of the new features. But I'll leave my comments on that for another thread since this is for the Gradient feature... (which I really really like)!