How to Install Plugins ×

PSFilterPdn (01-18-2024)

null54

On 7/27/2017 at 3:29 PM, Geikamir said:

Is there anything you guys know of that will work with this plugin here?

Filter Forge has multiple Watercolor filters, there is also AKVIS Watercolor.

I tested AKVIS Watercolor and it appears to be compatible with PSFilterPdn.

The Filter Forge Host Compatibility page lists Paint.NET as a supported application.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Just a newbie here who enjoys pottering around with PDN in his spare time.

Is there a way that the .8bf folder can populate more quickly or does this depend on local pc speeds/capabilities etc. or how many .8bf plugins you have in the plugin file?

I am using Windows 10 and PDN 4.0.17 Everything else loads quickly enough but the .8bf plugin (latest) can take anywhere from between 45 seconds to 75 seconds to populate.

Is this normal please?

Many thanks for any help.

D.

2 hours ago, Scaramouche said:

Is there a way that the .8bf folder can populate more quickly or does this depend on local pc speeds/capabilities etc. or how many .8bf plugins you have in the plugin file?

The search speed would depend on the number of folders in the Search Directories tab and the number of 8bf files located in those folders.

2 hours ago, Scaramouche said:

Everything else loads quickly enough but the .8bf plugin (latest) can take anywhere from between 45 seconds to 75 seconds to populate.

That would not surprise me.

Each time PSFilterPdn is launched it searches the folders and gathers the information it needs from every 8bf file it finds.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

My load times are no where near 45 to 75 seconds, but I was able to reduce my time of 2.65 seconds by about 30%  (this was with over 3,000 .8bf files installed).

@null54 -> https://github.com/0xC0000054/PSFilterPdn/pull/1

Hopefully that optimization will be more significant for @Scaramouche ... unless his/her bottleneck is Disk I/O.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

1 hour ago, toe_head2001 said:

My load times are no where near 45 to 75 seconds, but I was able to reduce my time of 2.65 seconds by about 30%.

If the load time is 45 to 75 seconds then it sounds to me like disk I/O may be a big part of the issue.

Perhaps the list of 8bf filters should be stored in the EffectConfigToken, at least that way it only scans the disk the first time it is opened.

Or the filter information could be serialized to disk and used across Paint.NET sessions, this is what GIMP's PSPI plugin does.

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

(this was with over 3,000 .8bf files installed)

I never anticipated PSFilterPdn would be used with that many filters.:noes:

I am surprised that the Windows Forms TreeView works with that many items.

Regarding your pull request, I am surprised that the TreeView sorting is such a bottleneck.

I have not decided if I will be merging it, accepting 3rd party contributions would restrict me from changing to a different open source license.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

• 7 months later...

I have downloaded the 8bf filter plugin from @null54. The plugin should let Adobe Photoshop filters work in PDN. So I downloaded it and also a couple of PS filters. But I did al the steps and when I go to the effects tab and click on 8bf filter the filters I downloaded show up. But when I want to run the filters, there is a loading screen but litteraly nothing happens to the picture I selected.

So could someone help me please, I know this forum is kind of dead but I really want to use these PS filters.

13 minutes ago, Rembrandt said:

... there is a loading screen but literally nothing happens to the picture I selected.

A loading screen, eh? Can you post a screenshot of the loading screen?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

That appears to be the dialog Paint.NET shows when it is waiting for an effect to finish rendering.

Are you using Paint.NET's "Repeat Filter"  command to run PSFilterPdn?

If not I am somewhat confused because the main "8bf filter" window should never cause Paint.NET to display that dialog.

Also what is the name of the filter you are trying to use?

There may be some kind of compatibility issue with the filter and PSFilterPdn.

PdnSig.png

1 hour ago, Rembrandt said:

Well, I use Flaming Pears’ free pack and I do not press repeat filter. I just choose the filter I want to use and press OK 

Fixed in 1.0.7.0.

Other changes include:

• Support for the Paint.NET "Dark" theme
  • Improved performance when launching the effect dialog multiple times
  • Settings should be remembered during the current session for most filters

Additionally all filters now have access to the PICA suites, this should improve compatibility with newer filters.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

33 minutes ago, Rembrandt said:

I don't know what you've changed but it still doesn't work at me.

I added a line that should prevent the "8bf filter" dialog from closing when a filter is running.

23 hours ago, Rembrandt said:

I just choose the filter I want to use and press OK

When you say "Press OK" are you referring to the OK button in the "8bf filter" dialog?

PdnSig.png

On 8/14/2018 at 2:24 PM, null54 said:

I added a line that should prevent the "8bf filter" dialog from closing when a filter is running.

When you say "Press OK" are you referring to the OK button in the "8bf filter" dialog?

Yes, I’m referring to the OK button in the 8bf filter dialog.

1 hour ago, Rembrandt said:

Yes, I’m referring to the OK button in the 8bf filter dialog.

My guess is that there is some kind of race condition in the code that I use to check if a filter is running.

But as I have been unable to reproduce this error I do not know what I would need to change to fix it. ?

PdnSig.png

On 8/13/2018 at 6:04 AM, Rembrandt said:

I just choose the filter I want to use and press OK

@Rembrandt  With this statement in mind - You need to press  >Run Filter>  Not  >OK> 

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

• 1 month later...

I don't know why but it doesn't work anymore for me. After Avast deleted my current Nik Collection I had to reinstall it again together with the 8bf plugin.

When I want to start one of the filters I get this message.

Clipboard 1.jpg

10 minutes ago, Merowinger86 said:

When I want to start one of the filters I get this message.

That is the generic "unknown error" message for Photoshop plugins.

The only thing I can think of is that a file the Nik Collection requires is missing, or Avast may be blocking access to it.

PdnSig.png

I've moved all the files from the folder in the "Effects" folder of Paint.net. It worked the whole time, damn. :(

Edit: Now it works. I don't know why but I reinstalled it the third time and now everything seems to work. Thank you anyway!

Edited by Merowinger86

Fixed a crash when the saved settings are corrupt, reported by @MizVeve in this thread.

File version updated to 1.0.7.1.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Using the latest version of this plugin, Windows 10 (all updated) and when I try to run Johann's plugins I get this error, any idea ?

Untitled.png

ZXCBOoZ.png

:arrow-up: I concur @nitenurse79 it's happening to me too.  I'm not sure, but think the anti virus is stopping it.  I will be interested to know what others suggest :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

40 minutes ago, Pixey said:

:arrow-up: I concur @nitenurse79 it's happening to me too.  I'm not sure, but think the anti virus is stopping it.  I will be interested to know what others suggest :)

The only thing I use is Windows security Centre, never had problems with any other plugins 😕

ZXCBOoZ.png