Possible Feature: Cropping by Size

I like to crop pictures to certain sizes to make desktops or to get a better frame out of the picture. I have a method I use that entails creating a new layer, making a box, and lowering the transparency of that layer, then cropping to selection. However I thought it would be much easier to have a menu option that will allow you to create a size to crop to, position the selection and then crop the image. I also think it would be a good idea to have common often used sizes ready to choose from.

You would use the menu to choose the crop size you would like to use.

resize11.jpg

You would then choose one, like say 1920x1200 and it would allow you to position the selection.

resize2.jpg

Then you apply the crop and you get a new framed image.

resize3.jpg

What do you think? Sound like a good idea?

BTW, I really love this program. I've gotten more used to the concept of it. Plus I upgraded from a AthlonXP 2700 to a Athlon64 X2 4600 and it made a huge difference. Again thank you for giving us what you have so far :)

wo... thats a super good idea! I would love it!!!!

How'd you make the extra window? haha i cant evan come close to making something that realistic...

and pretaining to what you did, also it would be cool to have paint.net have its own print wizerd, so you could select things such as... 5x10's 4x6's ect...

Err... the canvas size option or the rectangle select tool can do the trick...

If you do the Canvas Size you'll get the exact size no problem, however positioning the frame will be extremely limited, because you will only be able to use those "anchor points" in the Canvas Size.

If you just use the Rectangle Select you will have a hard time getting say an exact 1600x1200 pixel selection area. Also once you get the selection to the right size you would want to be able to move it around slightly to get the perfect frame.

In picture 2 I actually am using the method that I have been using to do this. Thats just a blue box made in a top layer with the transparency set to like 155. I can then drag that box all over the place to position it right where I want it, and then do a Crop To Selection. It works perfectly, it just takes a little bit of time to add the layer, draw the box, and change the settings, then position it. A menu option would allow you to quickly do the same thing.

If you just use the Rectangle Select you will have a hard time getting say an exact 1600x1200 pixel selection area. Also once you get the selection to the right size you would want to be able to move it around slightly to get the perfect frame.

You can use the move selection tool...

sig6rj3.png

You can use the move selection tool...

So thats what the white arrow does :shock:

I'll probably start doing that now, however you still have to drag the mouse out to the dimensions you want. And maybe its just my mouse's resolution but sometimes the closest I can get in 1280x1025 or 1023, it won't go to 1024. So then after I crop to selection I just do Canvas Size and correct it. Again that could be the limitations of my mouse.

I still think it would be nice to be able to have quick references, especially for photo sizes. That way you could go and take a big 6MP picture and then you've got plenty of space to work with to get a 4x6 or something out of it. Though would it have to take into consideration the DPI of the image since it will take a larger resolution to go 8" at 120 DPI then say 90 DPI?

I'm not demanding this, and hell I'd probably try my luck at it if I learned how to program in whatever language Paint.NET uses.

How about enabling resizing only single layers instead of the entire image?

That would make proportional reseizures possible instead of riuning an entire picture by resizing it manually.

What do you think the Move Selected Pixels tool is for ....

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have the agree with some of the above stated opinions.

The rectangle select, crop to selection, resize image, and Move Selected Pixels, copy/paste into smaller canvas, etc. are all capable of doing that in multiple ways.

Also, the window you made is very well done. With time and patience, I'm sure you could do it too, Picc. :)

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png