Creating a Community Signature Tutorial

I've been doing a lot of sig work lately (surprise surprise), and i was wondering if anyone else would find it help full to start writing a community signature tutorial.

This would contain simple things like how to add lighting, borders, blending etc, and maybe a few full signature tutorials if someone feels up to it. :D

Would anyone else (besides me :P) benefit from this?

Ugh. More render sig tutorials? No thank you.

Tutorial guidelines

9. If you're making a tutorial about how to create a sig with a video game render in it, it had better be darned good and unique. We have locked hundreds of them, and we're tired of looking at them. Make sure it's original.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Ugh. More render sig tutorials? No thank you.

Tutorial guidelines

It's not exactly just a render sig tutorial on how to make a set signature, It's more of the basics for ALL types of signatures. (Lighting, Flow, blending, borders adding text. Ect.

Render sig tutorials are great because render sigs are the only sigs that look good.

JMO

You're entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine. My opinion is that your opinion is unbelievably stupid and closed-minded, that you're a gigantic moron for saying it, and that you have no appreciation for art beyond what you create.

I agree, many people could benifit from this. And it would be great to learn many different techniques to use in your arsenal. I agree, let's make it! Please, pyrochild? :grin:

Why are you asking me? There are no rules against collaborating on a tutorial. If it turns out to be "yet another crappy render sig tutorial" then it will be locked just like any other bloody potato tut would be.

xZYt6wl.png

Stone85, you got a deserved tongue lashing from pyrochild. There are many sigs that are simply awesome (well thought out in terms of planning, placement, elements, originality, colour, message etc.) Render sigs are NOT the be-all & end-all just as oil paintings hold no artistic superiority over digital art or sculpture. Yes, I know just your opinion but some things should be just thought & not said.

Guess this shows why I have rarely won a sig comp but brace yourselves - I'll keep entering as I get time.

Mayor, the concept of a community tute for render is good & I do hope that you will present something that is well-planned & useful. When I read the first post, I was thinking that you have taken on a huge task. Good luck with it :star:

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Render sigs are pretty much the only good looking sigs?

I don't like any other kinds of sigs, usually. (I still like your sig barbieq, I just think it could use a samus/halo render with some smudging techniques, c4ds, and a nebula ;))

Pyrochild, I think you are being closed minded if you're locking "hundreds of sig tutorials" if they're render sigs,

just because they're render sigs. That rule said they needed to be good or whatever, but any other kind of sig tutorial can be posted and not be removed because it's not "good?"

I think you should totally let us do this, because a lot of us could benefit from it.

Thanks Pyro!

Edited by Stone85

Stone, considering the concept of Art Deco mixed in with a "samus/halo render with some smudging techniques, c4ds, and a nebula" is quite bizarre. I CHALLENGE you to incorporate that into the Art Deco style of my sig. PM me if you need any of the files.

Now this has got a bit off topic but I feel we are exploring something interesting.

Many of the tutes on render sigs get locked because they lack any teaching value. A tute should add to the general knowledge of how to use effects/plugins or general "how-to". In many cases the tutes are quite sig-specific (hard to replicate the concepts in another image) & don't add to the users' knowledge, so they get locked. Any tute that fails to meet these criteria gets locked.

I'm not sure but there may be a thread somewhere that tells you how to write a good tute. You need to be able to apply the processes to other images - transfer of learning or come up with a unique & novel way of creating something.

Still challenge you to mix my sig with you style - could be the new Steampunk & we could name the effect after you :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

"No offence but you smell worse than a hippo that's been in a desert for 8 hours and you look as if a buffalo puked on your suit. Just my opinion."

I think this'll be great if you focus on techniques, i.e. composition, blending, effects, text and colours.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

Stone, considering the concept of Art Deco mixed in with a "samus/halo render with some smudging techniques, c4ds, and a nebula" is quite bizarre. I CHALLENGE you to incorporate that into the Art Deco style of my sig. PM me if you need any of the files.

Now this has got a bit off topic but I feel we are exploring something interesting.

Many of the tutes on render sigs get locked because they lack any teaching value. A tute should add to the general knowledge of how to use effects/plugins or general "how-to". In many cases the tutes are quite sig-specific (hard to replicate the concepts in another image) & don't add to the users' knowledge, so they get locked. Any tute that fails to meet these criteria gets locked.

I'm not sure but there may be a thread somewhere that tells you how to write a good tute. You need to be able to apply the processes to other images - transfer of learning or come up with a unique & novel way of creating something.

Still challenge you to mix my sig with you style - could be the new Steampunk & we could name the effect after you :D

I don't think you realized that I was trying to make a joke to avoid sounding angry which happens because it sounds different when you read something and when you hear something said, but ok. :)

I hope that my tut didn't lack information, but it just seems odd that one out of "hundreds" of tutorials were locked (not including mine, I'm talking about darkshocks which was awesome)

Chrisco, yeah I was trying to not sound grouchy. I think JMO works better than "no offense but..."

"No offence but you smell worse than a hippo that's been in a desert for 8 hours and you look as if a buffalo puked on your suit. Just my opinion."

I think this'll be great if you focus on techniques, i.e. composition, blending, effects, text and colours.

Arguing your point and telling someone how bad they smell aren't the same thing.,. JMONO (jmo no offense lol)

Pyrochild, I think you are being closed minded if you're locking "hundreds of sig tutorials" if they're render sigs,

just because they're render sigs. That rule said they needed to be good or whatever, but any other kind of sig tutorial can be posted and not be removed because it's not "good?"

We don't lock them because they're render sig tuts, we lock them because almost every single render sig tut is exactly the same:

• cut out your render
  • make some sort of background of similar colors
  • smudge stuff around
  • border!

You'd think that with all the practice people get making these boring signatures and writing these horrid tutorials, the formula would have been perfect by now. That's not the case; not only are these tuts all the same, they're all really crappy, poorly written tutorials compared to other types of tuts. There are, of course, exceptions, but these are magnificently rare for sig tuts in general, especially with video game renders.

Now, if this thread is not back on topic by the time I get back from class, I'll lock it.

xZYt6wl.png

my sig is great too! lol

I think the idea is great as long as it doesn't get focused on only render sigs. Maybe even go so far as to ban render sig tutorials in the community tutorial unless they are used to teach a certain aspect of sig creation.

EDIT: o btw...I vote chrisco (I honestly think all of your render sigs are the best ;) )

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo