TIF format invalid

chucklepie

Hello,

When I open up a bitonal tiff image (CCITT4 format) and save it without actually doing anything, the file increases seven fold (e.g. my 100k file becomes 700k). It seems to be using a different compression format as the software I use that reads CCITT4 fails with this newly saved image.

btw, If I open it up in the default windows image viewer and rotate it then save it, it is ok (the same size and is recognised as CCITT4).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by chucklepie

Anyone got any ideas?

TIFF support in Paint.NET is rudimentary at best. It is included only as a convenience, not as a major feature and it is not likely to get better in the future.

If you need better TIFF support, I would suggest a commercial graphics program.

Thanks.

So where are the options for file saving, e.g. when saving as a jpg I would expect to be given the option of a compression level, for png the option of interlacing, for bitmaps the option of 1,8,24 bit, etc.?

Not for me it didn't. I tried jpg and bmp. I'm running 3.5.5

In case it was in the preferences, I tried but, erm, can't see any options menu.

Thanks.

Edited by chucklepie

Honestly, I swear, that option box wasn't appearing for me 10 minutes ago!

However, sadly there is no 1bpp bitmap format either so I've used irfanview on top of paint.net which seems to have fixed things. If I get time I'll write a plug-in, it can't be that hard.

Thanks.

As far as writing a plugin goes, the difficulty you'll run into is not being able to override the built-in TIFF codec. Other plugins have gotten around this by using an alternate extension, e.g. *.agif, and requiring the user to rename afterward.

For v4 I'm actually thinking about allowing certain codecs to be overriden, like TIFF. That way I can continue my stance of "please use PNG instead" while allowing users to change things if they need to.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg