System Restore on Installation

chucklepie

Hello,

Is it possible to disable the system restore point during installation of Paint.NET?

I don't need one and it just wastes disk space and takes a relatively long time.

Thanks.

If you don't want System Restore, turn it off. Enabling and disabling it on a per-application basis defeats the purpose.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I don't wish to argue, but I like being asked first (as most installers do.[citation needed])

Most installers that I'm aware of, especially ones using Windows Installer, create a restore point without telling the user. Go on, check your restore points and see. I've never seen one that gave it as an option.

It would be a terrible idea to include options in the installer that Paint.NET's target audience neither understands nor cares about. System Restore definitely falls under that category.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Huh? I've never seen another installer ask first. If you don't want system restore at installation time, you should disable system restore.

A restore point would be made regardless of whether Paint.NET put up the "Creating system restore point ..." message. When Paint.NET installs an update, it actually does an uninstall followed by an install. Normally this would cause two restore points to be created due to the way Windows Installer works. I bracket both of these operations so only 1 is done.

So, you see, whether the restore point is made isn't up to Paint.NET. But at least I'm doing you the courtsey of telling you about it, and saving 1/2 your time by only letting Windows Installer create 1 restore point.

This has already been discussed here on the forum before. I won't be changing this behavior.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 months later...

No, I've never seen one ask either. But most installers run a LOT quicker than yours does ... and for nearly all that time the only thing it's doing is apparently "creating a restore point" ... I think it's possible you're doing the wrong type of restore point? You are telling windows it's an Application restore point and not a Driver restore point, right?

btw, love the program - thanks :-)