Paint.NET is great, except it always does this.....

Problem 1:

For example:

bdpp43.jpg

You see, i want to move some pixels around, but when I do so there is a hashed transparent colour behind the white colour.

Ok that's fine i say, I'll just use the 'paint bucket' to fill that in. ... Oh hmm , it doesn't work. In fact, no matter what colour I choose, the paint bucket does nothing.

Problem 2:

In mspaint you have a little button to make shapes overlap or not. paint.net doesn't seem to have it. so if i want to move pixels around again then i can't move 2 blocks on top of each other or the 2nd one overlaps the first one. if they both have a while background then the black (or other colour) should override it....

any solutions to these problems?

i don't really want to fiddle around with layers, because they are too hard for me to use and never seem to work properly.. (i add layer, but how to draw on it?!)

there should be a simple way around these problems, otherwise i'll just use mspaint...

Once you make the selection with :RectangleSelectTool: anything you do will affect only the selected pixels. So your inability to fill the void area is because it's outside the current selection. Just click Edit> Deselect (or press Ctrl+D) and then you can fill in the void area.

However, you're missing out on not trying layers...that's the #1 most important difference over MS Paint.

By pressing :AddNewLayer: you can type your text on a new layer and then move the layer around to wherever you want it, and then merge down the layers with :MergeLayerDown:

Pressing "F1" while in Paint.NET brings up the help file. From there you can read up on move tools

The paint bucket was doing nothing in that situation because what you were trying to fill was outside of the active selection. Try pressing ESC to deselect before using the paint bucket.

Also, you really need to learn how to use layers. That will unlock an incredible amount of power and allow you to do amazing things with Paint.NET. Read about layers here: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

To select a layer (to make a layer active) simply click on the layer in the Layers window. Having selected the layer, only that layer will be affected by actions that you do from then on.

To change the active layer, click on another layer in the Layers window. Easy.

RE: your text problem. You're encountering this problem because you're typing text on a layer that is filled with white. The best technique to avoid this is to create a new layer pdn35icons.MenuLayersAddNewLayerIcon.png (as Curmudgeon said) and type your text on that. As this new layer has no background color, there is no problem with transparency when you move the text around.

It is generally recommended that you always place your text on it's own layer. If you have multiple fonts, colors and sizes of text, use a different (new) layer for each variation.

(I'll say the same thing, but quicker!)

This is completely by design, and the way things ought to work.

Use layers. Problem solved. Universe unlocked.

Also, judging from your screenshot you are not using the latest version of Paint.NET. Go upgrade now. Yes, now. Otherwise we will have to shun you.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Oooohh!! got it straight from the designer O.O I would suggest, however, that you try asking a question next time instead of immediately calling your problem a problem...

EDIT: good point, Ego (next post)

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Bug? @rhettius spoke of 'problems' they were having and didn't mention a bug at all. In fact the word 'problem' was used four times.

Problem 1:

For example:

bdpp43.jpg

You see, i want to move some pixels around, but when I do so there is a hashed transparent colour behind the white colour.

Ok that's fine i say, I'll just use the 'paint bucket' to fill that in. ... Oh hmm , it doesn't work. In fact, no matter what colour I choose, the paint bucket does nothing.

For this the solution is put your text on a new layer. This way you can move the text all you want without moving the background image/color.

Problem 2:

In mspaint you have a little button to make shapes overlap or not. paint.net doesn't seem to have it. so if i want to move pixels around again then i can't move 2 blocks on top of each other or the 2nd one overlaps the first one. if they both have a while background then the black (or other colour) should override it....

In this case if you are using an image, just duplicate the image layer and work on the top layer. In this way you will be able to move the selected part of the image and still have it visible from the layer below so it will be as if you didn't move it. The same can be done if you don't want to go back and fill it in when using a solid color background.

any solutions to these problems?

i don't really want to fiddle around with layers, because they are too hard for me to use and never seem to work properly.. (i add layer, but how to draw on it?!)

This is not a problem. "Fiddling around with layers" is EXACTLY what a multilayer photo/image editor is for. If you want to use any type of quality image editor this skill is a must.

there should be a simple way around these problems, otherwise i'll just use mspaint...

Considering your rigid standpoint and unwillingness to learn staying with mspaint may be just the thing for you to do.