bug report

mickiscoole

After a day of trying to crash pdn, i thought i had tried everything. I tried to open every image on my computer, tried to open a notepad document with a .jpg extension, and so on. but none of them failed.

but as I was about to give up, i decided to make an incredibly big image, and got :

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.
Please e-mail this file to paint.net@hotmail.com so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v3.0 (Alpha 1 Release build 3.0.2477.19867)
Time of crash: 14/10/2006 6:18:11 PM
Application uptime: 00:16:18.1718750
OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86
.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.42 x86
Processor: 1x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Physical memory: 1023 MB
Locale: reg: n/a, cc: en-AU, cuic: en-AU

Exception details:
System.OutOfMemoryException: CreateDIBSection returned NULL (8) while attempting to allocate 9999x7499 bitmap
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Memory.AllocateBitmap(Int32 width, Int32 height, IntPtr& handle)
  at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock.Allocate(Int32 width, Int32 height, IntPtr& handle, Boolean allowRetry)
  at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock.Allocate(Int32 width, Int32 height, IntPtr& handle, Boolean allowRetry)
  at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height)
  at PaintDotNet.Surface..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height)
  at PaintDotNet.Surface..ctor(Size size)
  at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace.OnDocumentChanged()
  at PaintDotNet.DocumentView.DocumentSetImpl(Document value)
  at PaintDotNet.DocumentView.set_Document(Document value)
  at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace.CreateBlankDocumentInNewWorkspace(Size size, MeasurementUnit dpuUnit, Double dpu, Boolean isInitial)
  at PaintDotNet.Actions.NewImageAction.PerformAction(AppWorkspace appWorkspace)
  at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace.PerformAction(AppWorkspaceAction performMe)
  at PaintDotNet.AppWorkspace.CommonActionsStrip_ButtonClick(Object sender, EnumValueEventArgs e)
  at PaintDotNet.CommonActionsStrip.OnButtonClick(CommonAction action)
  at PaintDotNet.CommonActionsStrip.OnItemClicked(ToolStripItemClickedEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.HandleItemClick(ToolStripItem dismissingItem)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.ToolStripEx.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the thing is, i just tried to recreate the crash again, but got an error message that i didn't have enough memory and didn't crash.

Also, i thought i might suggest a few things about 3.0

1) The multiple image save dialog looks great, but the single image save popup box doesn't by comparison. in the interests of consistancy and user friendliness, wouldn't it be better to change the single save dialog to be similar, with descriptions etc., to the multi image save dialog

2) now that there is a context toolbar, it could save some room in the tools window by combining the rectangle and the circle select to one tool, and allowing the user to change the shape in the toolbar instead

EDIT: also, is the Line/Curve tool supposed to use the secondary colour?

Thanks I added that crashlog and description to the bug I filed for cleaning up all of the "out of memory" crashes.

As for the other points:

1) Single image "save changes?" dialog -- Hey sure why not. I can make that one a little nicer.

2) Hmm I dont know about that, although it's not a bad idea and I might use that line of thought for some other things ...

3) Line/Curve -- woops! So here's what's going though ... for drawing shapes with the "draw filled shape" choice, v3.0 reverses the role of the primary and secondary color. I finally decided it made more sense (I believe BoltBait bent my arm on this one) to use the primary color to fill the shape even though "draw filled shape with outline" uses primary for outline and secondary for fill. What happened here is you switched to one of the regular shape drawing tools (rectangle or ellipse, perhaps), then chose "draw filled shape", and then eventually switched to the Line/Curve tool which then was still using the code that said "if drawing filled shape, swap the roles of these colors." So I fixed this for the next build. Good catch!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

3) Line/Curve -- woops! So here's what's going though ... for drawing shapes with the "draw filled shape" choice, v3.0 reverses the role of the primary and secondary color. I finally decided it made more sense (I believe BoltBait bent my arm on this one) to use the primary color to fill the shape even though "draw filled shape with outline" uses primary for outline and secondary for fill. What happened here is you switched to one of the regular shape drawing tools (rectangle or ellipse, perhaps), then chose "draw filled shape", and then eventually switched to the Line/Curve tool which then was still using the code that said "if drawing filled shape, swap the roles of these colors." So I fixed this for the next build. Good catch!

Ha. I had found this error. But, I didn't say anything because I didn't want you to put it back the way it was. :mrgreen:

2) Hmm I dont know about that, although it's not a bad idea and I might use that line of thought for some other things ...

May be a not so good idea.

Many beginners will ask "we can't draw a circle!" in my opinion.

Keep simplicity & ease of use.

Multiplication of menus is not simplicity & ease of use.

My 2 cents.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio