Making a Jewel

barbieq25

Wow,very nice wickedRed,I still have not mastered the clear look,it looks like you have.

I got side tracked when I adjusted the radial blur deluxe in the opposite directions and discovered facets,lol,and that lead me to this but in doing so I seem to have lost a bit of the gold look. That's ok,we are all still learning and this is an awesome place to learn,thank you all who contribute.

th_7.jpg

This is another one with facets that I think is a bit better,,,

th_8.jpg

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

WickedRed, a beautiful image. It doesn't need the twinkles at all. I love how some of the stars still come through. You did very well with this one. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Skullbonz, I like both of the new ones. Have you started a gallery yet? You most definitely should. Also a sig with a link to the gallery. Let me know if you need any help by PMing me.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Posting here, so I don't clutter up your Gallery.

I've run into a problem with the Circle Text more than once. It seems to crash quite a bit. Could that be my computer, or a PDN problem?

EDIT: btw, I finally did something I like. It's using a picture I took on vacation a few years ago, and using the Rain Drop tut.

fyijif.png

Edited by Moninca

What a great idea! The wire surround is a bit blurry. Did you start with 3200 x 2400 image? That is what the settings are for, otherwise the Gaussian Blur is too much.

Crashing is probably because you are running out of memory (RAM). Try not having anything else open & disable as much as you can to give you a bit more RAM. You also need to have the latest version & most importantly the SP3 patch for XP & the .NET Framework http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992

It is always a good idea to post images created from the tutes in the thread with the tutes & not the author's gallery thread. You should also post it in your own gallery with reference to where you got the tute from. If you can, links are great. I know I did not do this when I first started because I just didn't know I should. Hope this helps.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Ah, that explains things. I think I had 5 or 6 windows open, including a movie. lol Multitasking and such, lol. That also explains the blur, since I think I was at 2/3 the starting size. I'll fix that next time through.

And no worries, I wouldn't post the image in your gallery. That comment was meant about the Circle Text question, since I mentioned in your Gallery I was having trouble. I already asked so many questions over there, I didn't want to clutter it up anymore. I went back and editted in the pic here later. Sorry for the confusion. ^_^

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by Moninca
  • Upvote 1

When I think what my poor laptop went through with all the bits that no longer worked on it, I feel so sorry for it. Now my pc is such a powerful machine that I can hear the sonic boom it is that fast.

Hmmm, I misunderstood what you meant about the circle text...could go in the plugin thread or maybe start a new thread? I hardly ever do that & I really have to think about what I am doing. It is all good learning for us all.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Gold wire with the circle text is getting better & better. I like the pink & green one the best but I also like the swirl effect & colour in the brown one. Also love the way you did the small highlight, every effective.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

You lost me at some point and missed a couple steps (like not merging the gold ring down when you merge everything else down or the entire tutorial past that point is different) and my computer was trying to die the whole way through, so I just gave up and improvised near the end:

copper.png

I'll try again some other time.

xhin.png

If your computer doesn't have a big memory, that is probably why it be very slow to respond. The laptop I did this on was very old & only had 2GB of shared memory & it struggled at times.

I'm sorry the tute lost you but I love the braided look.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Psumner, good to hear. That is the whole idea behind a tute. Not so much to be able to recreate exactly but to learn the principles & methods.

I love your sig too. Very nicely done!

XHin, pretty good outcomes on all of them & I am glad you persisted. Yes, if you want lustre, you have to put the highlights in.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

• 1 month later...

Well heres my result, very nice and easy to understand tutorial, as I'm a newbie and i recreated what you did *almost* couldnt really figure out the last part about selected inside the gold circle then the wire frame thing or whatever but still i love this result =)

FinishedGemm.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1629n5f.jpg

The first creation I did with the tutorial. After that I tweaked with the blueprint in other creations a bit, using gemstones, opals, different shapes and colours...

Couldn't do the Galaxy tute's effect, so I skipped it for a simpler highlight.

Bonus points for guessing which flag this is, hum hum hum! :D

2cckl15.png