gradient problem showing columns of other colors

I'm having a problem using a simple gradient that goes from gray (hex value of DBDBDB) to white. when I look closely at the gradient produced, I see columns of purple between the shades of gray. It gets even worse when i look at it on a monitor that supports 1024 x 768 (which is the resolution that i need to run on).

I've enclosed the gradient and the problem page for viewing.

Thanks for your help

post-78297-128499994408_thumb.png

post-78297-12850005476_thumb.png

It looks to me that the gradient is being reduced to 256 colors mode for display, and poorly too.

If your system has a limitation that a 256 color graphic is required, you might be able to produce a better looking one yourself.

For example, starting with your gradient save as a .GIF file. This will reduce the colors to 256 using an algorithm designed to give optimal results. Use the gif file in your application.

The purple isn't present in the .png gradient.

Where does the purple first show up?

i see it in my .Net application when I use that gradient on the form that I included in a previous post. I tried it on 2 different browsers (IE8 and Firefox) with the same result

thanks for your help

It looks to me that the gradient is being reduced to 256 colors mode for display, and poorly too.

If your system has a limitation that a 256 color graphic is required, you might be able to produce a better looking one yourself.

For example, starting with your gradient save as a .GIF file. This will reduce the colors to 256 using an algorithm designed to give optimal results. Use the gif file in your application.

I think my problem is my monitor was set to 16 bit medium color quality. when I changed it to 32 bit highest, I didn't see the purple columns. I have to check to see if my user community's default set up is 32 bit or better.

thanks for your help