Zoom causes clipping

illgble

I have a very specific problem I'm trying to solve with Paint.NET. I have been doing this with Pixelmator, but I'm trying to move from Mac to Windows.

OK, I have a bunch of portraits and I want to standardize all of them so that the face is the same size and in the same position as a key portrait. The way I've always gone about this in Pixelmator is to load my key portrait and copy it to the clipboard. Then for each portrait I need to standardize, I load it into Pixelmator. Then I paste the key portrait in as a new layer and make it 50% transparent. Then I position the portrait to edit so that the eyes are just below the key's eyes, then use scale to make the eyes exactly the same size, and then I drag the portrait to edit so that the eyes exactly overlay the key's eyes. Then I remove the key layer and save. Done.

The same basic series of steps are doable in Paint.NET, but one problem arises. I can copy the key to the clipboard and paste it into the portrait to edit, and make it transparent. I can move the portrait to edit so the eyes are just beneath the key's eyes, and then I can scale it to have the same size eyes. But this is where the problem comes in. When I scale it, anything that gets sized off the edges is clipped and lost. So when I do the next step of repositioning the portrait, I'm left with portions of image that are missing.

Is there a way to make Paint.NET not lose the parts of the image that moved beyond the edges? Of if anyone has a better process for this project, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Kevin

Increase canvas size before you scale. Other than that, the only way to keep those clipped parts is to keep it selected. (If you see "finish pixels" in the history window, anything off the edges is removed. Until then, it's still saved)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Increase canvas size before you scale. Other than that, the only way to keep those clipped parts is to keep it selected. (If you see "finish pixels" in the history window, anything off the edges is removed. Until then, it's still saved)

That actually works fairly well except that I have to decrease the canvas back down at the end, so it adds a couple more steps and I've got hundreds of these to do. I guess that's a reasonable price to pay. Thanks!

kd